Wigan Athletic deducted 3 points (P33)

Given the Far East connections, it would be interesting to go over their recent results and see if any stand out as being 'strange'. Also, individual performances, unexplained errors booking, sending off's, penalties, goal-keeping howlers etc would be worth looking at.

Potentially a huge story, as it could very well blow the lid on football corruption, but I've doubt it will be eventually swept under the carpet, and all blow over very quietly.
The lid was lifted on corruption in Football ,in recent times, when the Fashanu,Segers,Grobbelar trials hit the news(2 Goalkeepers and a Businessman)..The book " Foul Play' by David Thomas- Bantam Press 2003
told;

" The inside story of the biggest corruption trial in British Sporting History....a fascinating portrait of profound corruption at the heart of the game we all like to think of as beautiful""

The book ,which i own, concentrates on Far East Betting Syndicates......all sounds very familiar..

Checked on this match on Wiki and I was right. Heskey scored after a minute and Dunney own goaled after 3 minutes(nothing new there then).
And Wigan got 2 more in the 2nd half.
Amazing how much things have changed for both clubs in the ensuing 14 years. You couldn't make it up to be honest.
I came off the beach in Greece to watch that fucking performance, should have gone back out in the sea after the first 5 mins but hope always sprung eternal.

Wasn't this game also Johnson's debut or was it some other youngster?

Andy 'Scouse Gob' Burnham was wading into this on Breakfast tele this morning. It seems he thinks the Government should be doing something about it. It is wrong that the premier league have so much money and the lower leagues don't, he went on to mention Bury. I just didnt understand what Boris was meant to do. As usual the clown was just making it political without providing answers himself. The simple fact is if the EFL did their job Wigan and Bury would not have gone bump.

Andy 'Scouse Gob' Burnham was wading into this on Breakfast tele this morning. It seems he thinks the Government should be doing something about it. It is wrong that the premier league have so much money and the lower leagues don't, he went on to mention Bury. I just didnt understand what Boris was meant to do. As usual the clown was just making it political without providing answers himself. The simple fact is if the EFL did their job Wigan and Bury would not have gone bump.
Not forgetting Bolton Wanderers who were also deducted 12 points and have ended up in the 4th Division.

I came off the beach in Greece to watch that fucking performance, should have gone back out in the sea after the first 5 mins but hope always sprung eternal.

Wasn't this game also Johnson's debut or was it some other youngster?
Had to Wiki it,but you are correct that it was MJs Premier League debut. What a way to start your career. I bet he couldn't wait for that game to finish.

I've never quite understood the idea that the Premier League should "do something". That's like arguing Sainsburys should subsidise every badly-run corner shop, including ones where the owner is a thief and an incompetent.

Surely lower league football should be structured in a way where clubs don't/can't go out of business, and a key element of that is preventing their sale to spivs.

If (once that reform is achieved) it's argued the PL should pay more to the EFL (for whatever reason) then fair dos. But not all PL clubs are overflowing with money - quite a few will be completely knackered if/when TV revenues start to fall. Which I strongly suspect they will, due to the state of the economy as a whole.

I've never quite understood the idea that the Premier League should "do something". That's like arguing Sainsburys should subsidise every badly-run corner shop, including ones where the owner is a thief and an incompetent.

Surely lower league football should be structured in a way where clubs don't/can't go out of business, and a key element of that is preventing their sale to spivs.

If (once that reform is achieved) it's argued the PL should pay more to the EFL (for whatever reason) then fair dos. But not all PL clubs are overflowing with money - quite a few will be completely knackered if/when TV revenues start to fall. Which I strongly suspect they will, due to the state of the economy as a whole.

Its amazing so many cannot put the blame where its due ie Andy Burnham. Wigans own finances are the reason its failing:
Wigan’s wage/revenue ratio was 167% in 2019 (2018: 175%), a hugely unsustainable financially position, spending £1.67 on just wages for every £1 of revenue earned.

How can any team operate on 167% wages to turnover

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.