COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
N Ireland 0 deaths (that's a run of about 5 or 6 days now) and 3 new cases.

So UK hospital total is 24 and the number of new cases from all countries bar England is just 25.

For comparison the three nation total last week was 49 and the UK total cases seven days ago (found from twice as many tests as we did yesterday) was 576. With England as usual adding by far the most.

Sweden population 10.1 million, deaths 5,500. Scotland population 5 million deaths 2,500. Yet Scotland did such a great job with their lockdown...

To summarise my response from a few days ago.

Directly comparing London to Stockholm as its the only city with similar levels of population density.

Stockholm
population = 975k
2,344 deaths

= 2404 deaths per millon

London
Population 8.9m
6,106 deaths.

= 686 deaths per million.

that's such an amazing success for Sweden's "Common sense approach" isn't it.

Last edited:
Sweden population 10.1 million, deaths 5,500. Scotland population 5 million deaths 2,500. Yet Scotland did such a great job with their lockdown...

There was a huge issue with care homes early on in Scotland. Patients being released from hospital into care facilities which caused a massive scale of infections and subsequent fatalities in the care sector. However, at the time which the hospital system was at risk of being overwhelmed, I don't know what the easy solution was. Not suggesting what was done was right, just pointing out that was an extremely difficult decision which had to be made in a very short space of time and it was effectively stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Since getting that horrible situation under control, I feel (living in Scotland) that sturgeon has handled it well. She's taken the advice from Devi Sridhar amongst other scientists, who's information has been clear from the get go. The extra caution which the situation has been handled with up here has been met with a largely positive reception, and seems to be paying dividends in current infection rates.

I don't wish ill on anyone, and I really hope that infection rates and deaths down south will continue to drop, and the opening of pubs and hospitality etc won't cause any issues there or anywhere else in the world. However part of me feels the UK have dived in a bit too quickly and the disregard for caution will have consequences on both sides of the border.

To summarise my response from a few days ago.

Directly comparing London to Stockholm as its the only city with similar levels of population density.

Stockholm
population = 975k
2,344 deaths

= 2404 deaths per millon

London
Population 8.9m
6,106 deaths.

= 686 deaths per million.

that's such an amazing success for Sweden's "Common sense approach" isn't it.

Where did I mention London in my post? Scotland apparently have handled brilliantly but have exactly the same deaths per population as Sweden which has been a disaster apparently. Just because the press repeat the same message doesn't mean you have to believe it.

Where did I mention London in my post? Scotland apparently have handled brilliantly but have exactly the same deaths per population as Sweden which has been a disaster apparently. Just because the press repeat the same message doesn't mean you have to believe it.

Whaterver. I was summarising my post from a few days ago you ignored where you directly compared Stockholm + London as it had the similar populations density.. and are clearly ignoring the point again.

You think Sweden is some bastian of common sense and some sort of bar to hold everyone else too. they are not.

Whaterver. I was summarising my post from a few days ago you ignored where you directly compared Stockholm + London as it had the same populations density.. and are clearly ignoring the point again.

You think Sweden is some bastian of common sense and some sort of bar to hold everyone else too. they are not.

You ignored my post and replied to one from days ago. The topic was how well Scotland have done, I'm pointing out they have locked down and done no better than Sweden, who didn't lock down but everyone says was a disaster. Surely you can see my point?

How many care homes do Sweden have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.