Spitfire or Hurricane?

The Hurricane was a good plane but it was phased out of service as a front line fighter against the Germans gradually becoming a fighter bomber for the rest of the war or deployed to India against the Japanese. It simply didn't have the air frame to allow it to be enhanced like the Spitfire.
Also Spitfire squadrens were generally assigned to tackle German fighters in the Battle of Britain, while Hurricanes took on the bombers. This led to the discrepancy between kills of 55% to Hurricanes and 42% to Spitfires.
It was a bloody good fighter bomber for the rest of the war as it could out turn most German fighters even the Focke-Wulf Fw 190. It was outstanding in this role in the North Aftrica campaign and onwards.

Last edited:
The designer of the Spitfire Reginald J Mitchel was born about a mile from our house just over the border in Staff. Very clever chap. He was also learning to fly but sadly died early from cancer I believe.

I went up in a 1942 Tiger Moth at Duxford last year, my wife bought it for my Birthday. I had a fly too, it was excellent. You could also go up in a Spitfire. But it's much much more expensive, will have to wait untill I win the lottery or something. That merlin just engine sounds fabulous.

Yes - this is true.

There is a very good propaganda film (David Niven and Leslie Howard) called 'The First of the Few' about his life, its on Amazon Prime and also Youtube. If you see it and think there is some dodgy acting by the pilots, that is because they are real WW2 pilots, not actors.

Hope you like these, OP. Taken at the Spitfire & Hurricane Museum at Manston, Kent.

https://ibb.co/HtWPMJ1

the first one looks like a later model powered by a Griffon engine - the longer nose cowling and propellor boss give it that look.

Apparently the original cost was £12,700 per unit - your choice gents - a Spitfire or a Kia Picanto lol

the first one looks like a later model powered by a Griffon engine - the longer nose cowling and propellor boss give it that look.

Apparently the original cost was £12,700 per unit - your choice gents - a Spitfire or a Kia Picanto lol
Haha. What mpg do you get from the spitfire?

Haha. What mpg do you get from the spitfire?

Not as good as the Kia and there are fewer streets - however you do get a paint job that inspired Mario's Bentley wrap - and if you want to pass something in the Kia you have to wind the fucker up - in the Spit you can just blast it out of your way and that would be way more enjoyable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.