Tales of Blue Q&A - Tony Henry

City_Shirts

Man City match worn shirts Facebook Page caught up with former City player Tony Henry this week to talk about his City memories. Henry, Six years a blue, 1981 FA Cup Final member, 80 games & 12 goals.

All blues welcome to view the UK's largest match worn shirt collection here with over 250 shirts dating back to the 1926 FA Cup Final in my private collection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/manchestercitymatchshirts/

1. Which team did a young Tony Henry grow up supporting and who were your first football idols ?

Sunderland was who I grew up supporting and my favourite players were Colin Bell and Dennis Tueart.

2. What was the youth route you took that lead to you joining City as a young apprentice and did you have a chance to join other clubs at that time ?

I joined City at 16 straight from school. I left home and went in to digs in Flixton, it was very nervy!! I could have gone to West Brom alongside Bryan Robson and also Chelsea with the late Ray Wilkins but City was always my second favourite club behind Sunderland.

3. What was life like at Maine Road for a young apprentice and how were you treated by the senior first team players ?

I was 16 so still a baby in the football world. The younger players were very rarely let in to the first team dressing room apart from cleaning their boots. At first you were petrified to knock on the door and go in – seriously! Once you had played a couple of games it was fine

4. Which bit of early advice did you receive at City and from whom, that really made an impression on a young Tony Henry ?

The best advice I had as a young lad at City was to always give 100% in training and games and never think you’ve made it when you’ve played a game for the first team, it’s a very long road. That was from Tony Book, the manager.

5. Your first team debut comes from the bench in a 2-0 win at Southampton on 18th September 1976 – How did you first hear you be part of the squad that day and what do you recall of the occasion ?

Being perfectly honest I can’t remember that game! From my recollection I made my first team debut v Blackpool in the Anglo Scottish Cup and it was nerve wracking playing with top players like Dave Watson , Alan Oakes and Willie Donachie.

6. Just one further appearance and again from the bench during the 76/77 season sees you having to wait for your first Blues start in a 2-0 defeat to Wolves the following campaign, what do you recall of your appearance that day ?

I remember it just came and went like a blur. We didn’t play well and because we lost I felt like I had let the team down. The other players were great at the end and said I did well. Playing in front of a big crowd was unbelievable.

7. 1978/79 sees you make your first real breakthrough into the first team appearing 15 times from March onwards including a UEFA Cup second leg appearance in Germany, Malcolm Allison returned to club as coach in January, what were your first impression of Big Mal and the impact he was starting to have at the club ?

Malcolm Allison was the best thing that happened to me at Man City. Just before he came they wanted to sell me to Blackpool but my Father told me to stay put and fight for my place, which I did. Big Mal came in and for whatever reason took a real shine to me and really liked the young players. He was brilliant with the players and a great coach.

8. You witnessed a huge turnover of established players at City and most notably during Big Mal’s return – What’s your take on his return to the club looking back now and the feeling around the squad at that time ?

There were obviously going to be changes when a new manager/coach came in. Mal had fallouts with a few players and they moved on. He promoted younger players like myself, Ray Ranson, Nicky Reid, Tommy Caton, Roger Palmer and Dave Bennett. He also signed Steve Daley, Dragoslav Stepanivic and the great Kaziu Deyna. He just wanted to have his own team.

9. It was reported that your ability as a utility player made you a favourite of Malcom Allison’s – What was your relationship like with him and how did you rate him as both a coach and then manager ?

Mal played me in a few positions, personally I believe my best at the time was CM. It didn’t matter where he played me, I just loved working under him. He taught me so much about the game and had great ideas. I would honestly say he was an early version of Guardiola.

10. In one of the worst kept secrets in football at that time sees Tony Book moved upstairs and Malcom taking control of the first team for the start of 79/80 season – What impact did this have on the squad at that time and could you see the struggles ahead that were coming under Malcom ?

Mal did almost all of the coaching anyway, so that didn’t change a great deal. Tony Book was a good guy and was still involved on a daily basis, always giving encouragement to the players. In football you never know what’s around the corner. If we’d have won the games we probably should have won, Mal would have been lauded as a hero, unfortunately we didn’t and the rest is history.

11. Thirty two appearances and four goals sees your best return as a blues player during the 79/80 season – How was life at City for you then on a personal point of view ?

When you’re playing football every week its brilliant, especially in front of big crowds. I absolutely loved every minute of it. There was a good atmosphere in the dressing room and at times we played some really good stuff. Good Times!!

12. Your first City goals arrive in September 1979 with a brace in a 2-1 League Cup win over Sheffield Wednesday – What do you recall about that fixture and the goals ?

Again, I remember it wasn’t a classic by any stretch and we were struggling to break them down. Fortunately I managed to get us a win which at the time we needed. Scoring goals is a great feeling wherever you play football.

13. Your first City League goal for the club came with the first strike in a 2-0 Manchester Derby win over United – What was the atmosphere like that day and how do you recall scoring and playing in a Manchester Derby ?

Playing in the Derby was an unbelievable experience and I remember United were the clear favourites to win the game, even though it was at Maine Road. We played really well on the day. Mal had us massively up for it. Scoring was the icing on the cake! The crowd noise was deafening and obviously winning was great. The only downside on the day was my Mother-in-law wanting a photograph with Ray Wilkins after the game!!

14. Following a disastrous spell which sees Malcom leave the club and be replaced with John Bond, an upturn in form follows with serval new players coming in – What were the first impressions of the new manager and did you have a chat with him personally regarding his plans for you at the club ?

Mal leaving was a very sad day for most of the players. John Bond came in and from day 1 I knew we didn’t see eye to eye. He brought experienced players in like Tommy Hutchinson, Gerry Gow and Bobby McDonald who were all good players and great lads. To be brutally honest he hardly ever spoke to me apart from letting me know if I’d made a mistake in a game!

15. The 1980/81 campaign sees City feature in a fly on the wall Granada TV documentary, at what was possibly the worst time for the club to do so, due to such a poor run of results leading to Allison losing his job, what were the players view on this during filming and how do remember that period at City ?

I agree it wasn’t a great time to o the documentary and for players at that time it was more of a distraction than anything else. We were struggling and it was being highlighted even more in this programme.

16. Two fantastic cup runs sees City reach the semi-final of the League Cup, with you hitting four goals along the way and also the Final of the FA Cup – What were the main reasons behind the transformation of the team that led to these runs ?

I believe it was obviously the new manager bounce. The experienced players did help without doubt. When you win games it breeds confidence in the team and the more we won it pushed us on. We were lucky in a couple of the cup games but also we should have beaten Liverpool in the League Cup semi-finals, losing by an odd goal.

17. What are the memories of the build up to the 1981 FA Cup Final ?

We went away the week before the Final down south and trained really hard for the game on the Saturday. It was a long week.

18. Named on the bench for the Final v Spurs and featuring later on in the fixture – What are your stand out memories of that day ?

I was very disappointed before the first game at Wembley as I’d played the 6 games before the final, including the semi-final at right back, because Ray Ranson was injured. The game before the final I think was Crystal Palace and I played really well. I found out on the Monday night at the training camp that I was going to be on the bench. I was devastated. It was a great experience playing at Wembley but I believe I should have started.

19. When did you find out you wouldn’t be involved in the following Thursday replay and how did John Bond break the news to you ?

I found out on the Monday morning after the Saturday game that Dennis Tueart would be on the bench and I was left out completely. It didn’t really surprise me and John Bond didn’t actually tell me, it was his assistant John Benson. As I said earlier, there was no love lost between Bond and myself.

20. You’d appear on just two more occasions for City before leaving for Bolton – When did you know you’d be leaving and how did the move happen ?

Newcastle Utd made an approach initially for me but it was turned down. Bolton then came in and a deal was agreed. I initially failed my medical at Bolton as the surgeon said I had a bad ankle and I wouldn’t play for another 12 months minimum. The deal finally went through and I went on to play another 500 games and retired when I was 39.

21. Did you ever have the chance to return to City as player ?

No, I never had the chance to return. Saying that I did play for the Man City over 35’s team a few times, years later!

22. How’s does Tony Henry look back on his time at Manchester City ?

I had a fantastic time at Man City. My only regret is that I felt it should have been a longer career there. Unfortunately new managers/coaches have their own ideas and players have to move on.

23. What’s your opinion of the modern day Man City team and club as a whole ?

Man City for me now is another world to what it was when I played. There is so much money now involved in football. City are, for me, the best team to watch in Europe. They have fantastic players and a top, top manager/coach. This year they didn’t win the league because they lost too many games that the probably should have won. They’re still brilliant though.

24. Who will win the 2021 Premier League title ?

A tough one but I’d go for Man City or dare I say Man Utd! I believe Utd are finally turning a corner after a few years in the wilderness and will be a danger next season.

What’s Tony Henry of 2020 up to ?

I’m working as a football consultant at the moment. I was head of recruitment at Everton for 8 years and then West Ham for 3.5 years. I’m very good at finding players, it’s all I know and it’s what I love. I may work in a club again sometime soon.
I also have 5 beautiful grandchildren, all boys and apart from Leo who’s 2 they all love their football. Laura’s 3 are football mad and huge City fans. Jack is currently in the academy at Shrewsbury having left Man City and Stoke City because of the huge travelling commitments. He’s very good and has a chance to really push on if he keeps working hard. Charlie the middle one loves his football and again has really come on last 2 yrs. He could be the surprise one down the line Harvey who’s 18 next, technically and ability wise is excellent and he could go to an academy and do really well. However I actually believe he can/wants to be a top coach. He already has level 1 and 2 badges and is an excellent coach having set up his own coaching business at 17, Harvey Lewis Coaching. I’ve told him he can be the new Julian Naglesmann at RB Leipzig who was a Bundersliga coach/manager at 28. He’s got a bright future without doubt. Noah is 7 and absolutely loves football plus he has improved a lot in the last 12mths BUT still loves computer games more
So I spend my weekends watching them
Thanks for the Q&A, take care and COME ON CITY!
Tony, It's been a pleasure to chat City and share your 'Tales of Blue' memories I really appreciate the time..................................Please give Tony's Grandson Harvey a follow at https://twitter.com/Harvey_Coaching

107821528_10158342842390428_8895025781774627004_n.jpg

107594422_10158342843210428_4063485420126099078_o.jpg

107753421_10158342842685428_2802853347425140710_o.jpg

Enjoyed that well done, some memories being refreshed especially being at Maine Road as a young teenager at the 2-0 derby win when Tony scored. Not many people realise that Tony was Our first ever french player!

Enjoyed reading this too

Tony gave it his all for the Club

Great goal v West Brom in the League Cup match v West Brom too, 1980 a Header if I remember correctly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.