Big Jack Charlton RIP

Jack was part of the Leeds United team that I really hated. I could never transfer that hatred to Jack who I always admired as a footballer and as a person. He was also magnificent as a manager for the a Republic of Ireland.

I did meet Jack once, in Edinburgh, back in 1989. I stopped at a filling station at the Maybury and went to pay, when in walked Jack. I recognised him immediately and eventual worked out that he was in Edinburgh for the funeral of Don Revie. He had stopped at the garage to buy a pack of cigarettes.

I do recall Jack commenting later that quitting smoking was easy. He had given up at least six times!

Unlike his obnoxious brother, Jack always came across as a decent human being. Jack fell out with Bobby after his brother cut himself off from their mother Cissie and never allowed her to see her own grandchildren. That started the rift between the brothers. I am not sure if it was ever healed.

Loved big Jack. I don't think I ever see so many people cheer on another nation as much as Ireland back then. Italia 90 and USA 94. It was just great to see and watch

Did he ever make up with his **** brother?
I heard a lot of tributes yesterday mainly on BBC but not a word from his brother and hardly any mention of the ticket tout at all save for one clip where Jack said that Bobby was the footballer of the two.

XqtHLZ7a.jpg

:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.