City’s New Kits - 2020/21 - [Old Thread]

I hope they make one with a nod to our football team at some point.
At least it’s Mancunian, rather than Blue Moon sound waves or print of the Moon’s surface!

For too many years it felt like the club were embarrassed that we come from Manchester and wanted to distance themselves from the place.

At times it felt like we were called Moon City FC with all the Moon shite on the kits, lights out and Blue Moon shone on the East Stand, Moonchester and Moonbeam, the graphic Moon in blue on the big screens, Blue Moon tifos, Blue Moon plaques at the bottom of the bridge, “Blue Moon Rising”, and so much more... I just don’t like any of that at all.

Puma have come along and stamped a bit of MANCHESTER iconography onto our kits with this season’s Madchester kit and next season’s mosaic, MOSI and nod to our textiles(Paisley) past... I think it’s about time we were more proud to be the club of Manchester.

At least it’s Mancunian, rather than Blue Moon sound waves or print of the Moon’s surface!

For too many years it felt like the club were embarrassed that we come from Manchester and wanted to distance themselves from the place.

At times it felt like we were called Moon City FC with all the Moon shite on the kits, lights out and Blue Moon shone on the East Stand, Moonchester and Moonbeam, the graphic Moon in blue on the big screens, Blue Moon tifos, Blue Moon plaques at the bottom of the bridge, “Blue Moon Rising”, and so much more... I just don’t like any of that at all.

Puma have come along and stamped a bit of MANCHESTER iconography onto our kits with this season’s Madchester kit and next season’s mosaic, MOSI and nod to our textiles(Paisley) past... I think it’s about time we were more proud to be the club of Manchester.
Purple Aki away kit next season then

I don’t disagree with most of that and actually like the away shirt.

My issue — which to be fair is usually the origin of most grievances with me — is the woeful implementation of the ideas with many of our shirts.

The home shirt is a shambles (or should I say a shatter) from a design/perception standpoint in the context of current club affairs, as I have alluded to earlier in the thread, and the third shirt looks more like the microscope view of the contents of a Petri dish than a paisley pattern due to the pattern sizing, colouring, and specific shape selection (which isn’t ideal given the current global situation right now).

It is fair to say they would have designed these prior to the onset of the pandemic, so couldn’t have known the third shirt might be seen in odd taste. But I can’t imagine they would have been so far in to production for distribution in February/March not to be able to redesign, slightly retool production/supply chains, and produce different (perhaps even much more simple and possibly cheaper to produce) third shirts in light of the new market conditions. Very few of us would criticise such a move.

Perhaps next year we’ll have amazing shirts, similar to the majority of the Umbro years, but apart from the away shirt, I think they applied what were — on the surface — very good ideas very poorly and showed very little flexibility to culture/market changes.

Then again, perhaps the days of shirts based on interesting, relevant designs implemented with a thoughtfulness and reverence are gone, and we are squarely in the gawdy, ironic, ‘anti-fashion’ kit era to satisfy the angsty, twitter troll teenage market.

Though, if current economic forecasts hold true, I am not sure that market is going to have the money to sustain that era (directly or indirectly). Perhaps not even the older market segment will. We may soon see a return to an extreme version of the “as simple, inexpensive, and efficient to produce with a significantly reduced production capacity as possible” shared-template strategy, leading to the pendulum swinging well back to boring, lifeless, switch-the-swatch kits and we’ll all — including myself — long for the shattered Petri dish days. ;-)

/inconsequential_moan

Liking the new Spurs away shirt. Bit of nineties charm to it. Where was our nineties charm when we had Nike?
Good question. And why have Nike bothered a to make a Spurs crest to its actual shape rather than just lazily embroidering one on a wanky shield like they did to our shirts?

It’s a nod to our city’s history of science and industry with the facade to the MOSI.
Great idea IMO
I think it is a good idea too, however, I don't think it's been executed very well. It looks like a kind of Aztec pattern imo. All 3 shirts just look very busy, I wish they had left the home shirt simplistic and smart.

Purple Aki away kit next season then

He'd be all over this
Men-s-3D-T-Shirt-Bodybuilding-Simulated-Muscle-Tattoo-T-Shirt-Casual-nude-skin-chest-muscle.jpg

I don’t disagree with most of that and actually like the away shirt.

My issue — which to be fair is usually the origin of most grievances with me — is the woeful implementation of the ideas with many of our shirts.

The home shirt is a shambles (or should I say a shatter) from a design/perception standpoint in the context of current club affairs, as I have alluded to earlier in the thread, and the third shirt looks more like the microscope view of the contents of a Petri dish than a paisley pattern due to the pattern sizing, colouring, and specific shape selection (which isn’t ideal given the current global situation right now).

It is fair to say they would have designed these prior to the onset of the pandemic, so couldn’t have known the third shirt might be seen in odd taste. But I can’t imagine they would have been so far in to production for distribution in February/March not to be able to redesign, slightly retool production/supply chains, and produce different (perhaps even much more simple and possibly cheaper to produce) third shirts in light of the new market conditions. Very few of us would criticise such a move.

Perhaps next year we’ll have amazing shirts, similar to the majority of the Umbro years, but apart from the away shirt, I think they applied what were — on the surface — very good ideas very poorly and showed very little flexibility to culture/market changes.

Then again, perhaps the days of shirts based on interesting, relevant designs implemented with a thoughtfulness and reverence are gone, and we are squarely in the gawdy, ironic, ‘anti-fashion’ kit era to satisfy the angsty, twitter troll teenage market.

Though, if current economic forecasts hold true, I am not sure that market is going to have the money to sustain that era (directly or indirectly). Perhaps not even the older market segment will. We may soon see a return to an extreme version of the “as simple, inexpensive, and efficient to produce with a significantly reduced production capacity as possible” shared-template strategy, leading to the pendulum swinging well back to boring, lifeless, switch-the-swatch kits and we’ll all — including myself — long for the shattered Petri dish days. ;-)

/inconsequential_moan
Gok Wan in da house!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.