How much is enough?

I don't earn that much, but I have a house that I really like, I have the car I always wanted as a boy, no kids, no mortgage.

Well happy.

you're already onto a loser by starting this thread and comparing yourself to everyone. Once you can let go what you think people think of you, you'll be perfectly happy on whatever makes you happy.

By no means is this a dick measuring competition, as I'd probably win that hands down. But there's no harm in seeing other opinions on work/life balance, disposable income and better ways to save. That's where most (especially young) people go wrong, money is almost a taboo subject not to be spoken about.

Whether we like it or not, other than health, money is the sole barrier to people's freedom in developed countries.

I think it was alluded to earlier, but the higher up the payscale go then it seems you have less personal time. At least in an office environment anyway. I'm really happy with my lot but ultimately it's worth nothing when you're gone, my memories are worth more to me personally than any sense of workplace achievement.

Just to chuck in a stat, median full time earnings in the UK are in the region of £30k p.a.

But how long’s a piece of string? What is total Income in the household? How many dependants? How expensive is housing in your area?

There's an old saying that I love. "He who dies with the most money is still dead."

What is the point in working your arse off for 60 hours a week your entire life to earn money you don't have time to enjoy? Western society is built around prosperity meaning success. Why? Surely success is when, lying on your death bed, you are thinking back and smiling about all the memories and experiences you enjoyed and you feel fulfilled. Not a list of materialistic items you once had.

I had a useless junkie father and a mother that worked 60+ hours in some shite factory so me and my sister could go to uni. I've never had more than I have now and I appreciate what she and I have worked for. We bring in £65k combined and I have a nice house, nice family car, fiancee and a wee girl with another on the way. Can't ask for more than that. I look forward to camping trips, holidays and generally watching them grow up. That's happiness and success right there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.