How good were Pink Floyd?

Superb post. There are few better headphones albums. It’s such an emotional listen, the range of the quiet and loud sections, the impact of the lyrics for those who lived through early 80s Britain too, incredible. Musically Gilmour was a sublime talent, but lyrically he couldn’t get anywhere near Waters. It’s become a cliche to say that was a Waters solo album, but a track like Not Now John wouldn’t have existed without Gilmour.
So, so good. In my top 3 Floyd albums these days.
I wore three vinyl TFC albums out mate, scratched to fuck. More skips than Ricky Hatton and more long jumps than Bob Beamon! I don't suppose being stoned and tripping with my heavy hand on the stylus helped though; )

Big man, pig man
Ha ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying "keep on digging"
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find?
When you're down in the pig mine
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

Bus stop rat bag
Ha ha, charade you are
You fucked up old hag
Ha ha, charade you are
You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost worth a quick grin
You like the feel of steel
You're hot stuff with a hat pin
And good fun with a hand gun
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

Hey you Whitehouse
Ha ha, charade you are
You house proud town mouse
Ha ha, charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?

You gotta stem the evil tide
And keep it all on the inside
Mary you're nearly a treat
Mary you're nearly a treat
But you're really a cry

Interestingly, in the US, Whitehouse was construed by many as The President. The 3 pigs were obviously Mary Whitehouse and 2 others (1 possibly Thatcher)

One album which hardly gets a mention of brilliant Floyd albums is 'The Final Cut'. I played it to death back in the day. A very underrated album I think.
Essentially an extension of The Wall, with a bigger dollop of Roger Waters.

The production is superb, but for me it signals the end of a chapter in the Pink Floyd story. The Gilmore/Waters partnership had pretty much run its course at his point.

Still a great album though.

Essentially an extension of The Wall, with a bigger dollop of Roger Waters.

The production is superb, but for me it signals the end of a chapter in the Pink Floyd story. The Gilmore/Waters partnership had pretty much run its course at his point.

Still a great album though.
I agree mate. Sad really that Waters influence on the album was indeed the final cut between him and Gilmour.

Roger Waters has aged into a cantankerous stubborn old bastard, but I really like all his solo albums since he left Floyd.

One album which hardly gets a mention of brilliant Floyd albums is 'The Final Cut'. I played it to death back in the day. A very underrated album I think.
It seems to get little attention because the tracks are seen as leftovers from The Wall. David Gilmour himself said something like, "If the songs weren't good enough then, why are they good enough now?" Both he and Waters have repeatedly slagged off the record: https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21770

Personally, I love it and actually think Two Suns In The Sunset - simple as it is - is one of my favourite tracks of theirs.

That's like saying who gives a shit about anybody's opinion about anything.
So why bother with a forum.

No; it's just saying that there's some really dumb shit written. I'm not dismissive of all opinions, just some. And that's just an opinion.

There's a bottom line that Floyd are good at what they do and it's really not hard to understand why they are so successful. Just how good they are is certainly up for debate and what's good and bad in their catalogue is certainly up for debate: there's some bloody awful stuff in their early albums but they developed into a band that produced one of the greatest albums ever made plus several other very good ones.

Can't say I think The Final Cut is one of their best but when I finally got round to buying it, I did think it was better than I was expecting.

Last edited:
No; it's just saying that there's some really dumb shit written. I'm not dismissive of all opinions, just some. And that's just an opinion.

There's a bottom line that Floyd are good at what they do and it's really not hard to understand why they are so successful. Just how good they are is certainly up for debate and what's good and bad in their catalogue is certainly up for debate: there's some bloody awful stuff in their early albums but they developed into a band that produced one of the greatest albums ever made plus several other very good ones.

Can't say I think The Final Cut is one of their best but when I finally got round to buying it, I did think it was better than I was expecting.
Yeah, at the end of the day I couldn't give a shit who likes who tbh. :)

I just don't get this 'Dark side of the moon is the greatest ever made' stuff.
It's not musically adventurous there is no dynamic musicianship on it, yes a few good tunes. But it's mainly slow, ploding and boring in my opinion.
I guess it would be good for sending me to sleep.
I really don't understand how it has got the status it holds.

It took a while but think it's a good album

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.