Big Jack Charlton RIP

Cheers for correcting me.i do remember they played with great intensity,roared on by a very vocal 50,000 Geordies.City stood up and fought tooth and nail that day,and in the end ,our class was the divider.
One of the best away performances ive ever seen by City.i was a proud man that night.
It does though show the class of Jack Charlton...he could have easily refused to shake my hand or muttered you were lucky etc..he didnt,he smiled and looked me straight in the eye.
Incidentally, i also bumped into Big Mal at St james Park a few years back,before a match,( City got trounced by a newcastle side with Peter Beardsley in fine form) i also shook his hand and chatted to him about Citys 1968 win there...he went all misty eyed, and it was clear he was proud at the memory.

Yes, that was a great day at St James in 2012. Never been so nervous before a game as I really thought we had a big job on our hands the way the Toon were playing at the time. Quite simply, we had to win, in fact a draw was no use to either us or Newcastle. What a performance by City though. We had a great time afterwards with the Geordie fans in the Centurion Bar - they really were top class & kept wishing us well for the title showdown. One of my best ever days out at a footy match.

Yes, that was a great day at St James in 2012. Never been so nervous before a game as I really thought we had a big job on our hands the way the Toon were playing at the time. Quite simply, we had to win, in fact a draw was no use to either us or Newcastle. What a performance by City though. We had a great time afterwards with the Geordie fans in the Centurion Bar - they really were top class & kept wishing us well for the title showdown. One of my best ever days out at a footy match.
That night was also the most nervous id ever been before a game,..it was a Special night for those Blues
present,everyone knew we had last won the title at St James Park in May 1968,when Bell Lee Summerbee and Young stepped up to the plate..when it mattered.Ive watched footage of that game many many times and the Geordies were well up for that match too! Again,50 000 fans crammed into the old Ground,a rip-roaring atmosphere,and you could feel the tension in the crowd,as soon as you press 'play' on the u tube footage...well thats how it was in 2012...the tension of trying to win the title,with utd at our backs,after so many many long years of basically nothing.....that tension produced nerves,and i have never ever seen a set of Blues so tense before a game the situation not helped by having to climb the endless stairs ,up to the away fans section...it was a real effort just to get up the stairs,once there,at the very top,i quickly realised just how big a game this was..i cant really describe the atmosphere, it was strange,...no Blues were gobbing off big style,it was so tense....Fucking tense.,saw all the usual faces ,as you do,but everyone looked ..on the edge...I have the upmost respect for Yaya Toure. In a situation like that,with our backs against the wall,he rose to the challenge,like he did so many other big match occasions,and plundered two goals at St James Park,in front of 50 000 vociferous Geordies..Yaya maybe didnt carry the weight,the shame the burden of all those long years without a title...but he certainly stepped up.when it mattered,and produced two moments of magic.Thats what you need from top players in a big match,somone who is brave enough to go for it.How he found the composure to bend that second goal with the inside of his right foot around the geordie keeper, in that couldron of noise,i ll never know....but im proud to say i was there to witness it.Absolute class from a true Blue Legend..

The thing that i always remember about the game was at the final whistle. The Geordies applauding City, knowing and appreciating they had just seen the Champions in waiting.

The thing that i always remember about the game was at the final whistle. The Geordies applauding City, knowing and appreciating they had just seen the Champions in waiting.
I remember us being 1 up very late on, and thinking the tension was unbearable think Micah made a block which led to a breakaway involving Clichy and De Jong, probably not the 2 you would pick to launch an attack, but the ball fell to Yaya....and the week after put the Newcastle tension into perspective, but what a release.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.