The return of Jekyll and Hyde

Aubameyang is just quick, I think too much is made of not being able to catch him.

I think it shows that Walker's positioning covers a lot of defensive issues - when he wasn't there, or was high up the pitch there was a weakness. This season, City lost the ball in midfield a lot and were immediately exposed in defence. Utd used their only method of attack in the league - smack the ball downfield for the hares to chase, and hope it comes off.
Sadly Utd are getting better. And now they are in the CL they will get better again. Chelsea with the outstanding Pulisic will strengthen, and have strengthened although in truth I don't know much about Werner. Surely they will sort out the keeper?

This season the top 6 were rubbish. really rubbish except Liverpool and City were either very good or very bad. We have a soft core which needs sorting. it's not bad luck. There's a problem there to fix. I think though that it only requires 1/2 signings / academy promotions to fix.

Hopefully we are able to hide the weakness in the CL.

Interesting, it’s just reminded me, that on BM we didn’t have a ‘top 6’ mini league thread this season. Whilst we’ve had one for quite a few of the previous.

also shows how the favours the top 2 got in those big games have really swung their seasons.

A bigger issue than losing a centre half in my eyes, Rodri doesn't have the same intensity as Dinho and we missed him in that position. Would be hard to find a player like him, he is unique.
I'm not sure it's a question of intensity or lack of pace, it's more about reading the game. Fernandinho, like Gary Barry before him, knew instinctively where to be to snuff out danger even though neither was the quickest. Rodri is a great passer of the ball and a skilful player but tends to be caught in the wrong place at crucial times. Hopefully under Pep he'll learn

Teams have learned to break out from the back more effectively. The way that we play has always been open to counter attack, but, it’s taken a while for other teams to get and train players to play this way effectively. Italian and Eastern European teams played this way up to the end of 2 points for a win, as emphasis went to not conceding and nicking a winner.

Gundog and Rodri are lambasted on here for being slow, but, they can’t cover the width of the pitch with 3 breaking out, which didn’t happen too much previously in the Premier league.

If anyone thinks Rodri will be replaced then think again. Just go and watch old footage of Pep playing for Spain or Barcelona, Rodri is Pep’s younger self, he plays exactly the same way.

Against these sides we need 2 screening players, or the backs not to push up so much and tuck in a bit.

All bar Norwich and Saints (even though their form since shows massive improvement) were against top notch sides. At no stage in important games, including Arsenal in the cup as well, did we perform.

I think that's a leadership deficiency. I always thought if Zabs or Vinny werent involved we struggled. Now both are gone and Dave or Dinho lead a different way. Kdb is possibly getting there, but for a few of those games he was even sat out

They are hard to find and we used to have 3 or 4 now it's the scouse scum who have a few in vvd Milner and hendo.

We need someone who can command that dressing room to be on it every week. Worried about the Real game for the same reasons
I agree with this.A lack of fight when we go behind this Season was a lot different than when players like Zabba and Vinny were in the team. They refused to accept defeat whereas now when we go behind its a bit like watching a slow motion car crash. It has a weird inevitability about it which I attribute to a lack of leaders.

as I posted in the 102 goals thread.

Offensive
4+ goals:
City: 11 times, 55 goals in 11 games, W11 D0 L0.
Dippers: 6 times, 26 goals in 6 games, W6 D0 L0.

3+ goals:
City: 17 times, 73 goals in 17 games, W17 D0 L0.
Dippers: 14 times, 50 goals in 14 games, W14 D0 L0.

<3 goals:
City: 21 times, 29 goals in 21 games, W9 D3 L9.
Dippers: 24 times, 35 goals in 24 games, W18 D3 L3.

Defensive
Clean Sheets:
City: 17 times, W17 D0 L0.
Dippers: 15 times, W14 D1 L0.

1 goal:
City: 10 times, W9 D0 L1
Dippers: 17 times, W15 D2 L0.

2 goals:
City: 8 times, W0 D3 L5.
Dippers: 3 times, W2 D0 L1.

>2 goals:
City: 3 times, W0 D0 L3.
Dippers: 3 times, W1 D0 L2.

It's those tight games where we really struggled, whereas the Dippers had the mentality and help to sneak through. 11 games where we conceded 2 or more goals and we didn't win any, Liverpool only did so 6 times and won 3 of them, huge swing. In fact, Liverpool managing to win 18 out 23 times despite conceding a goal, whilst we only won 9 out of 21, is a huge swing, and speaks to our mentality in those games where we have profligate finishing and then concede a soft goal at the other end. Our ability to rack up the goals where the going is good and we can bully teams has masked that. We've had half a season of very good results and performances, and half a season where we completely fall to pieces, so the Jekyll and Hyde analogy is very apt.

The results against Spurs (draw and loss), Chelsea (loss),Wolves (loss). Were literally near statistical impossibilities. Literally probably had a combined 100+ shots in those games, yet conceded every single excursion in to our half. Combined that unbelievable luck with the VAR we’ve received compared to the Dippers this year (by design) - the title is ours next year, the stars aligned for these ****s, won’t happen again unless they go full blown Vince McMahon WWE and have our opponents throw the ball in to our net whilst the ref is distracted by a big titted fan.

Teams have learned to break out from the back more effectively. The way that we play has always been open to counter attack, but, it’s taken a while for other teams to get and train players to play this way effectively. Italian and Eastern European teams played this way up to the end of 2 points for a win, as emphasis went to not conceding and nicking a winner.

Gundog and Rodri are lambasted on here for being slow, but, they can’t cover the width of the pitch with 3 breaking out, which didn’t happen too much previously in the Premier league.

If anyone thinks Rodri will be replaced then think again. Just go and watch old footage of Pep playing for Spain or Barcelona, Rodri is Pep’s younger self, he plays exactly the same way.

Against these sides we need 2 screening players, or the backs not to push up so much and tuck in a bit.
With the ball, City are as good as ever. The goals for shows that. The defensive side of our game has slipped.

The weakness is pace in the spine of our side which allows counter-attacking sides to flow past us. We need to address that.

Sadly Utd are getting better. And now they are in the CL they will get better again. Chelsea with the outstanding Pulisic will strengthen, and have strengthened although in truth I don't know much about Werner. Surely they will sort out the keeper?

This season the top 6 were rubbish. really rubbish except Liverpool and City were either very good or very bad. We have a soft core which needs sorting. it's not bad luck. There's a problem there to fix. I think though that it only requires 1/2 signings / academy promotions to fix.

Hopefully we are able to hide the weakness in the CL.

Yes, Chelsea could be very good next year, as you say. A season running some kids, and now having the cash to spend.

Utd have fixed their major problem by signing a playmaker, while they seem to bring a new striker in every other year. Difficult to see the top 4 being different next season.

I think we may need to re-use having the fulllbacks supporting the defensive midfield more, although that just asks for wide men to be deployed against it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.