Jordan Henderson wins FWA Footballer of the Year

We all knew this was going to happen, after the first month or so of the new season. When VAR made it a certainty that the dippers would win the league, we all of us knew inside that regardless of how brilliantly our players performed, the media darlings would sweep the board with every accolade available.

Henderson over KDB? Really? Are you sure?

Something wrong somewhere. Something seriously bloody wrong.

I can’t believe Shearer admitted to voting for Henderson on MOTD last night.
I think him and Wright were quite sheepish when talking about KDB and the awards. Almost to the point of being embarrassed as former professional footballers that Henderson got the award over KDB. The whole moment was quite amusing
to see them squirm. Wright said they both deserved it. Shame Lineker didn't question their rationale further?

I heard one sports writer say he didnt vote for KDB even though he is the best player in the league but voted for Henderson because of his of field work and is captain of the champions. It was on Sunday supplement cant remember his name. I would have thought the clue was in the name....Footballer of the year not Charity raiser of the year or Captain of the champions award.
I would say the sports writers change the format for the award to include charity work etc. Yes Sterling won it last year but he had a great season and spoke up about racism. Henderson hasnt had a great season but made some phone calls so won the award for making phone calls.

I think him and Wright were quite sheepish when talking about KDB and the awards. Almost to the point of being embarrassed as former professional footballers that Henderson got the award over KDB. The whole moment was quite amusing
to see them squirm. Wright said they both deserved it. Shame Lineker didn't question their rationale further?

You’re right there. It was as if Wright was toeing the bbc line by adding that both deserved it. He did seem embarrassed to endorse Hendermule.

Lineker is far too shallow to ask those sorts of questions. Despite his status and salary (or perhaps because of them) he remains a full-on agenda whore. He’s found his niche grinning at the camera and throwing in the occasional snide remark.

Enjoyed a walk in and around Lawton Woods this morning.

McTominay must be in with a great chance of claiming this illustrious prize next season.

Reactions: mat
I heard a lad on the radio yesterday that coaches young kids. He said no doubt Henderson isn't the best player in the league and probably didn't deserve to win it but he was delighted he did. Made a great point that he can use Jordan Henderson as an example to every 10 year old he coaches, he can teach them to be Jordan Henderson. All they need is attitude and he can teach the rest.

He can't teach them to be David Silva or Kevin De Bruyne. Henderson is average in height, speed, strength, probably below par technically for a premier league midfielder yet he has made himself a hugely successful footballer.

The fact the award is by journalists make it irrelevant anyway. Most unimportant people in football.

I heard one sports writer say he didnt vote for KDB even though he is the best player in the league but voted for Henderson because of his of field work and is captain of the champions. It was on Sunday supplement cant remember his name. I would have thought the clue was in the name....Footballer of the year not Charity raiser of the year or Captain of the champions award.
I would say the sports writers change the format for the award to include charity work etc. Yes Sterling won it last year but he had a great season and spoke up about racism. Henderson hasnt had a great season but made some phone calls so won the award for making phone calls.

He was bigged up by the media for a media campaign. He was neither the best player or most influencial on or off the field. Pep knows.

Despite my club bias, I have to agree KDB was robbed. I guess it is all about him being the captain and "driving force", but for skill and all round quality KDB should have won it hands down.
Maybe there should in fact be two seperate awards..
1.The How Far Have You Run This Season award; and
2.Genuine ,class Football Player of the season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.