COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought all people who had tested positive for covid 19 then had x2 negative tests would be given id cards that would give them opportunity to travel, work and visit other households regardless of any further local or national lockdowns?

Did this ever get actioned or were scientists not able to provide certainty of being reinfected or being infectious to others?

Obviously many people have tested postive whether asymptomatic or not?

38 deaths yesterday from a virus. On average 213 people die a day from smoking related issues. But you can still buy cigarettes...

The sooner we understand that this virus is something we have to live with like other viruses and diseases the sooner the country gets back on its feet.

I really shouldn’t have to say this, 8 months on but, smoking is not contagious. So your comparison is completely irrelevant

The idea of a ‘lockdown’ is so we get the amount of infections extremely low so when we come out of lock down any increase of infections will still be low, the UKs lockdown was too late and too loose

But it also is supposed to government(s) time to get equipment, create the infrastructure on roads, public transport etc as well as giving businesses time to change their ways of working and/or improve office space(if they decide they still need it). Businesses have done their bit

What you absolutely cannot do, is say, well we’ve all had enough we need to get ‘back on our feet’ so off you go but don’t forget to wash your hands. This will lead to an increase of infections, hospitals overrun and businesses losing staff through either death or sickness. I think you will agree, that won’t do much for consumer confidence

We do need to get the tills ringing, I agree but that cannot and should not be done in isolation. The government lockdown 5 million people on Friday, that is not sustainable

I’ve said from back in January/early Feb. We need mass testing and mass isolation

The U.K. have played at it, hence why we have more deaths than most and why we will struggle to ‘get back on our feet’

I thought all people who had tested positive for covid 19 then had x2 negative tests would be given id cards that would give them opportunity to travel, work and visit other households regardless of any further local or national lockdowns?

Did this ever get actioned or were scientists not able to provide certainty of being reinfected or being infectious to others?

Obviously many people have tested postive whether asymptomatic or not?

It's going to be a long time before we know if and when there's any meaningful/long lasting immunity. It's too new a virus to make any guarantees. Immunity from other coronaviruses varies, with SARS it's about 3yrs but with the common cold only 3months. Makes the initial herd immunity strategy even more questionable.

I think the other issue with the idea of immunity passports was that it would encourage people to try and deliberately infect themselves in an attempt to get themselves more freedoms.

Is there any evidence that the virus as not a strong and the recovery rate from getting it is higher that before? SARS just died out some think the same will happen to this virus.

Is there any evidence that the virus as not a strong and the recovery rate from getting it is higher that before? SARS just died out some think the same will happen to this virus.

I don’t know about that but isn’t one of the reasons SARS died off is because it’s not as contagious?

I’ve just heard Chris (the Naked Scientist guy) say on 5 live say that Cambridge are working with Murdoch University in Australia on genetic markers to identify who is more susceptible to the virus. Murdoch University has a super community that is required for this research.

I don’t know about that but isn’t one of the reasons SARS died off is because it’s not as contagious?

Yes, SARS was far less infectious but far more lethal.

This virus seems to have high infectivity but quite a low lethality. The untested asymptomatic cases would otherwise prove that the mortality rate is probably a lot less than 1%.

The problem has always been if the entirety of the worlds population caught the virus, that 1% will result in a MASSIVE number of deaths and even more hospitalisations where hospitals couldn't cope.

Even if the whole of the UK caught the virus today, the current statistics show that between 5 and 15% would end up in hospital and that's 6-7 million people! A quick google search tells you that there are only 140,000 or so spare beds in the NHS at anytime and that''s why they built the nightingale hospitals.

The whole point of lockdowns etc isn't to save lives or keep most people safe, it's to save beds for the 1% who may need to be saved.

It’s doubtful whether the Covid death figures will reduce for sometime if PHE are continuing to use this definition.

So if I tested positive in April and died in August having had terminal cancer for 12 months I go down as a Covid 19 death! Utter madness and no wonder the death toll continues to grow. In theory given that circa 300k have tested positive then that is the figure of Covid deaths we will have regardless of when people die

So if I tested positive in April and died in August having had terminal cancer for 12 months I go down as a Covid 19 death! Utter madness and no wonder the death toll continues to grow. In theory given that circa 300k have tested positive then that is the figure of Covid deaths we will have regardless of when people die

The “review” has gone very quiet so we don’t know the extent of the over counting but it’s not good for morale or probably accuracy to be adding in figures from so long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.