Rugby League - Super League 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
It was pointed out that the lack of scrums helps the defending team, as they have a full defensive line, rather than just half a team. Not a lot of difference in speed though.

There aren’t many scrums in rugby league mate unless it’s a tactical kicking game. Tue repeat sets are replacing penalties.

It was pointed out that the lack of scrums helps the defending team, as they have a full defensive line, rather than just half a team. Not a lot of difference in speed though.

Ok, cheers for that. I’ve not been able to see these matches today, but am keen to see how the fixtures pan out under this set up and how different (or not) the spectacle is.

How are the new rules shaping up mate - noticeably different? I can’t imagine a lack of scrums being an issue?
The new “Six Again” rule is a revelation!

The game was already the fastest flowing code of football as it was (average of 70+% of the game with ball in play); now, the ref doesn’t have to blow the whistle and stop play for a penalty for messing around in the ruck, nor does he have to ignore messing about in the ruck because he doesn’t want to stop the game for a penalty, and he can just give the attacking team a fresh set of six.

Brilliant rule!

Scrums get a bad rep in RL, too many people look at them wrongly. Rather than people expecting them to be about the actual scrum taking place and trying to gain penalty advantages; they should be looked at as being important for the attacking team as it groups together most of the defenders into one part of the field and opens up the rest of the pitch to attack once the ball is out of the scrum quickly.

However, without them, it’s another way in which the ball is in-play more and the games are flowing more.

And I’d love to see what that does to the ball-in-play stats.

The NRL did some analysis on ball-in-play across different codes of football a few years ago:
Rugby league came top at 72%
Association football 65%
Rugby union 33%
Gridiron 11%

If these rules improve on that again, I think they’ll be here to stay... and I think RL should get some better reviews and coverage for it.

The new “Six Again” rule is a revelation!

The game was already the fastest flowing code of football as it was (average of 70+% of the game with ball in play); now, the ref doesn’t have to blow the whistle and stop play for a penalty for messing around in the ruck, nor does he have to ignore messing about in the ruck because he doesn’t want to stop the game for a penalty, and he can just give the attacking team a fresh set of six.

Brilliant rule!

Scrums get a bad rep in RL, too many people look at them wrongly. Rather than people expecting them to be about the actual scrum taking place and trying to gain penalty advantages; they should be looked at as being important for the attacking team as it groups together most of the defenders into one part of the field and opens up the rest of the pitch to attack once the ball is out of the scrum quickly.

However, without them, it’s another way in which the ball is in-play more and the games are flowing more.

And I’d love to see what that does to the ball-in-play stats.

The NRL did some analysis on ball-in-play across different codes of football a few years ago:
Rugby league came top at 72%
Association football 65%
Rugby union 33%
Gridiron 11%

If these rules improve on that again, I think they’ll be here to stay... and I think RL should get some better reviews and coverage for it.

Great reply. Going to enjoy watching a game asap after reading that. Ta v much.
EDIT - those stats don’t say much for a game of union do they?!

Great reply. Going to enjoy watching a game asap after reading that. Ta v much.
EDIT - those stats don’t say much for a game of union do they?!

Much of that is the long long pause when kicking a penalty or conversion. Have 8 kicks at goal, and that's 10% of the game done.
Then there's resetting scrums, and lineout shambles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.