John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Is £15m for Jordan Ibe really that crazy in the current market, given that he was widely touted as a talented youngster and was still only 20 or 21 at the time? Solanke is a rip of for a striker that's only scored one goal, I'll give you that. The worst ones for Liverpool were a crocked Fernando Torres for £50m and Coutinho for £130m. Again in that case though, Barcelona were going through a period of overspending on crap. But Coutinho was always a 1 game in 4 player.
Your probably right, I guess im looking at it in hindsight. As you say he was hyped up and Bournemouth probably thought he would end up turning a profit but just didn't work out. Solanke the same I guess from Bournemouth POV.

Torres again, Chelsea desperate for a striker and blinded by his ability of the past years. Coutinho, Barca being daft with money and not for the first time!

Back on topic though, 20-25m is probably going to be the best we can get, especially when a team is going to be expected to take on 100k+ in wages and taking a risk on someone whos not put 10 games together in 18mths.

might be controversial but I Would rather keep Stones than Garcia, As much as I love Garcia I don't think he is made for the physicality of the Premier league.I hope I am proven wrong and Garcia turns into another Cannavaro
Neither is John tbf injury prone and regularly thrown around like a rag doll by opposition strikers

I don't know. Is £15m for Jordan Ibe really that crazy in the current market, given that he was widely touted as a talented youngster and was still only 20 or 21 at the time? Solanke is a rip of for a striker that's only scored one goal, I'll give you that. The worst ones for Liverpool were a crocked Fernando Torres for £50m and Coutinho for £130m. Again in that case though, Barcelona were going through a period of overspending on crap. But Coutinho was always a 1 game in 4 player.
And we were subject to innuendo and suspicion when we sold premier league winner Javi Garcia for £15m

Yeah £20m is a piss take. Michael Keane went for £25m rising to £30m. Tyrone Mings went for £20 rising to £25m when he wasn't even deemed good enough for Bournemouth. An £18m bid wasn't enough to buy a 30 year-old Jonny Evans a couple of seasons ago. Keiron Trippier went for £20m to Atletico Madrid. These are all home grown players and the English ones are all behind Stones in the England pecking order. He's still only 26, which means a club could easily get 8-10 years out of him. And obviously the evidence is all right there in the newspaper articles saying what a bargain it would be for West Ham or Arsenal to get him for that price. The whole point of us buying younger players like Stones when we were building the team was that they would still have some resale value if it didn't work out.

But it's all part of a wider trend of us failing to get money for our best assets. Sure, we sometimes get quite a good wad for one of our youth products, but how do we get into a situation where we're selling Sane for almost the same amount as we paid for him? How are we losing £25-30m on John Stones? Even when other clubs intend to sell a player, they still seem to be able to convince the player to sign a new contract so that they get a decent fee. Maybe that's part of the strategy. We allow players to leave fairly easily in the hope that it makes us a more attractive prospect for future signings. But presumably in terms of FFP, getting a decent fee counts towards our balance?
Non of the players you mentioned are on big money, Johnny is picking up 150k basic, tell me one club who will pay him that?

I'm not sure what's complicated about why Stones would go for a low fee. He's not reliable from an injury perspective, hasn't improved much as a player, and plays in a system that not many other teams play. His wages are a huge limiting factor also. 150k a week is enough to become the highest earner or close to it at a lot of clubs. There's no buyers.

While we can't get £50m we can still get a good fee for Stones even on his current salary. £20m is too low

While we can't get £50m we can still get a good fee for Stones even on his current salary. £20m is too low
You know other people watch our games right? It's not a secret why we want to get rid of him. Take a look at what Arsenal fans think about signing him and tell me why they're going to pay up.

Arsenal wants a bargain. If they were the selling club they would expect a bigger fee than £20m.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.