COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
France and Spain have both reported large daily rises in coronavirus cases amid fears that parts of Europe could be hit by a second wave later in the year

Meanwhile in Spain, 1,772 new coronavirus infections were announced on Wednesday

Germany has 1,000 more cases in last 24hrs

In Germany, a doctors' union said it was already contending with a second wave amid a disregard for social-distancing guidelines that risked squandering the nation's early success in containing the virus

The French government's top scientific body said of the crisis in its country: "The situation is precarious. We could at any moment tip into a scenario that is less under control, like in Spain.France has reported 1,695 new COVID-19 infections over 24 hours. This is the highest daily increase since 30 May, when they were up by 1,828.

"It is highly likely that we will experience a second epidemic wave this autumn or winter."

1,000 a day,every day are dying in the states

Tv news sources/sky/CNN

I wonder if our light touch lockdown may turn out to have been the best course of action in the long run. These places locked down early and hard so won't have as many people with antibodies.

I wonder if our light touch lockdown may turn out to have been the best course of action in the long run. These places locked down early and hard so won't have as many people with antibodies.

The antibody data is very hard to read as it is not really very high anywhere. But then we don't know how many fight it off in other ways. Then there are the T cell questions. Or if immunity is short lived.

New York State is the best place to watch. Their epidemic matched the UK quite closely and its quieter mainland state and large urban island areas are akin to the densely packed island nation we are with millions crammed into a small space but more rural spaces surrounding them.

They peaked sharply like we did around 10 April and then tailed off like we did They are running at about 700 cases a day and 9 deaths now. Like we are.

32,431 died there so far.

If they get a second wave - start to worry.

Last edited:
Only way to tell will be the full 12 months march to March excess deaths what we need to remember is that a good proportion of our fatalities were elderly wjth preconditions who could have succumbed to flu this winter which would bring us closer to average by year end.

Interesting piece on the BBC's Hard Talk last night (I didn't catch it all) with Dr Jeremy Farrar the Director of Wellcome Trust.
Optimistic of a vaccine, potentially this year, maybe early next but won't be the silver bullet and we (much like with HIV) would have to look at a whole host of other treatments. Seemed very balanced. Also concerns over vaccine nationalism (you'd hope the world would indeed come together over all this, but clearly not always the case). I'll see if it's online....

Also Micahel Eavis suggesting Glastonbury may not go ahead next year either. We've all been thinking 'back to normal' some time at the end of the year latest, but this could indeed drag on.
So glad I have access to a dog I can go walk in nature...it's been my saving grace throughtout all this.
I think I've been out once this year (pre CV19).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.