75 years ago today (Hiroshima bomb)

There was a really good reconstruction of the events up too and during the bomb drop on BBC2 last night, simply called hiroshima, worth finding on catch up if you can.

Prior to it there was a programme about the Sellafield nuclear site, which was also pretty interesting, the UK's desperation in building an atom bomb of our own an also when you see we could have had our own Chernobyl back in the 1950's due to a fire at one of the reactors.

Group Captain Leonard Cheshire was an official observer on the Nagasaki bombing but due to some cock-ups did not get a close up view. He commnded the famous 617 squadron towards the end of the 2nd World war and they used the "Tall Boy" concrete piercing bomb which was the largest weapon available to the RAF at that time. His war experiences sickened him and afterwards he started up the "Cheshire Homes" for injured war veterans.

There was a really good reconstruction of the events up too and during the bomb drop on BBC2 last night, simply called hiroshima, worth finding on catch up if you can.

Prior to it there was a programme about the Sellafield nuclear site, which was also pretty interesting, the UK's desperation in building an atom bomb of our own an also when you see we could have had our own Chernobyl back in the 1950's due to a fire at one of the reactors.
My son has to visit Sellafield on a rgular basis and he has surveyed the Chimney featured in the program, I also found it extremely interesting.

I watched that. The part where the woman couldnt reach her child in the rubble broke me. Us trying to keep ourselves as a nuclear power is a fucking joke. We cant afford it and the world doesnt need it. And they can take Trident from the Clyde and stick it up their arses.

Interesting how the world has panned out since then. Both Japan and Germany are friends of the USA and Russia and China amongst others, have become the problem countries.

I wonder if things would have been a lot different had the war played out differently.

I watched that. The part where the woman couldnt reach her child in the rubble broke me. Us trying to keep ourselves as a nuclear power is a fucking joke. We cant afford it and the world doesnt need it. And they can take Trident from the Clyde and stick it up their arses.
i was watching some clip a while ago about what would happen in the event of the UK getting involved in a Nuclear war and it was quite disturbing, UK V USA,we would knock out 35% of the US before being vapourised, Russia V USA we would cease to exist within the early stages and thats not even getting involved, India V Pakistan we would have a Nuclear winter and nothing would grow over Europefor years its all scary stuff and it can be argued that having these weapons is a deterrent to aggression,their must be something in that because were all still here

My mum was living up there then - didn't drink milk for a week and other than that told there was nothing to worry about. Sellafield spent years down playing it and then within hours of chernobyl had scientists up on the cumbrian fells blaming high readings on the naughty Russians.

Group Captain Leonard Cheshire was an official observer on the Nagasaki bombing but due to some cock-ups did not get a close up view. He commnded the famous 617 squadron towards the end of the 2nd World war and they used the "Tall Boy" concrete piercing bomb which was the largest weapon available to the RAF at that time. His war experiences sickened him and afterwards he started up the "Cheshire Homes" for injured war veterans.
Avro Lancaster's from 9 and 617 Sqn used Tall Boy bomb's to destroy the German Battle Ship Terpitz in 1944. The Tall Boy was actually designed by Barnes Wallace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.