Has it been a good/poor season?

Rascal

El Presidente
Team supported
RCD Espanyol
Has it been a poor season, a good season or an average season.

2nd in the league to a better team
Won the League Cup
FA Cup semi finalists
CL QF

On our day we are magnificent, but we have too many off days and on those days we don't grind out results we find ways to lose. Often we lose even though we have dominated games, created loaded of chances, missed loads of opportunities and been punished for our mistakes.
Last night was typical of our season, we were profligate again and got punished again. We were In the ascendency and Jesus and Sterling missed great opportunities, Lyon pump a ball forward and score on the break just like so many other times this season. Then Ederson fucks up and its game over. Football at the very top is very fine margins, we are an elite team and against other good teams it can happen. Its frustrating because we know we can be so much better. No football team has ever been perfect, because in football perfection is impossible and I think Pep's drive for perfection is actually a hinderance because its an unachievable aim. He is a footballing romantic brought up believing in the football of Cruyff. yet the football of Cruyff's Holland team whilst being magical and sublime never achieved winning the world cup because it lacked the pragmatism of Argentina and West Germany at that time.

It then becomes a question of principle, does he sacrifice his principles and be pragmatic or does he stick with what he believes, I think as fans we would like to see more pragmatism, but when he is pragmatic like last night when he alters the team to deal with an opponent we call for him to stick with his beliefs and play like we have done over the last few years. The key is finding a mix between pragmatism and principle.

We also have to accept that football is inherently a game of mistakes, every goal comes from a mistake because the perfect game of football would end 0-0 and it is the capacity of football to be prone to mistakes that makes it such a fascinating sport. You can be the most wonderfully gifted team on the planet but lose because of one mistake to a team that on paper shouldn't even be in the same league.

If you accept football is a game of mistakes then what you do is either try to eliminate the mistakes or take advantage of the other teams mistakes and that is where footballing philosophies come into play. The high press is used to create mistakes by the opposition, but it leaves you prone to mistakes at the back because you are invariably undermanned, the low block aims to eliminate mistakes at the back but means you have less mistakes upfront to capitalise on. You only have 10 players to decide which way you wish to approach the game and last night we were caught in the middle of being principled and pragmatic but it was mistakes that cost us because whatever approach you take its always mistakes that settle the game.

Can you eliminate mistakes? to a point yes I think you can but you cant eliminate every mistake and not every mistakes is taken advantage off because the other team makes mistakes too. Case in point is we induced mistakes from Lyon to create an open goal for Sterling who then somehow managed to balloon it over the bar. None of this was done on purpose its football and its why its so fascinating because it exposes human frailties and reminds us all of the time we also ballooned a great chance over from 5 yards out playing against the Dog and Duck third eleven.

I thought I would have a look at some stats for some seasons

Mancini title F93 A29 L5

Pellers Title F102 A37 L6

Pep title F106 A27 L2

last season F102 A35 L9

There is remarkably not much difference between the stats for any of those years apart from one obvious one, somehow we contrived to lose 9 games last season despite the stats not being that much different.

Conclusion is last season we got punished far more for our mistakes than in the other seasons, shit happens

I fucking love City, only us could beat the Spanish champions and CL KIngs and then lose to a team who finished 7th in the French Farmers league.

Don't ever change City.

Very underwhelming.

Poor defense of the title, occasional great performances but a lot of average, going through the motions.

Overall disappointing and personally think we have regressed.

We were eliminated by fucking Arsenal in FA Cup and Lyon CL.

The games we should have won comfortably given our talent.

PL was a horror show but again after 198 points dip probably was certain given Dippers wanted more and were more motivated.

Any Season that includes getting turned over by the rags and not just once has to be balanced out by at least ending up as Champions. It’s been a poor Season given the potential in the side. Domination does not begin with going backwards .

I always said after our first trophy after 35 years I’ll try not to be an entitled fan, one trophy a year would be fantastic and champs league place would for me be a good season.

Problem with some fans is they fall into the trap most fans do when you start to dominate leagues winning trophies consistently your thinking changes to one trophy isn’t good enough then the criticism starts towards players manager.

From what angle has it been good? We can't win every year, i get that and Laporte / Sane were out for long periods but we still should have done better.

It would be only be a good end, if we sorted our transfer activity and sign a world class CB quickly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.