Colin Hendry

is that the games that the rag fans were throwing toffees on the pitch Taking the piss out of us? Always seem to remember this event but can’t place game/year as it could have been dippers or lids game in that era - or I could of just imagined it all.
Haha don't ask me, I invented the substitution.

Depends how you look at things.
Heath was a work horse,which is what kendall wanted up front...each of his 1st eleven that won the league for Everton was a determined team player.every single one of them.
I liked Clive allen,a lot.but he was never a Kendall type player ...sensational goal scorer (50 in one season iirc) but never won the title.
Kendall did.as a manager and as a player.
Sometimes,you have to accept..that a manager who has been there and done it..knows more about Football than the average fan...me included.

it was a shocker along with getting rid of Hendry!! Every time Allen was on the pitch he scored. Just checked Heath got 4 goals in 75 games for us UP FRONT. And most of these were starts! Wtaf, 100 times worse than I remembered...??!! Just shows Reid was clueless, looking after his pal rather than doing the right thing for the team! Embarrassing decision which cost him ultimately!!

Typical City sell him for peanuts and then spend big money on Keith Curle. Would have been interesting to see what them two would have been like in the same side.

thats not what happened. We had them both, Curle signed summer 1991 but Reid wouldnt play Hendry and Curle together and we sold him later than season back to Blackburn!!

Loved Hendry, big mistake getting rid of him as I think he and Curle would have complemented each other very well with Curle being used to playing alongside a big centre-half at Wimbledon. Think they only played once together if I remember correctly in a 3-2 win at home to Crystal Palace? Anybody could see we needed a dominant centre-back and we then faffed around with Hill, Bobby, Vonky etc., trying to fill the void as Redmond and Curle didn't give a good enough balance. I guess Hendry not getting on with Sam Ellis was the reason he left

it was a shocker along with getting rid of Hendry!! Every time Allen was on the pitch he scored. Just checked Heath got 4 goals in 75 games for us UP FRONT. And most of these were starts! Wtaf, 100 times worse than I remembered...??!! Just shows Reid was clueless, looking after his pal rather than doing the right thing for the team! Embarrassing decision which cost him ultimately!!

Reid got the most out of the players he had, and Heath ended up midfield for a lot of it, and back as a striker at burnely were he scored again.

Allen didn't suit the style of play at the time, when quinn was second highest scorer in Div 1, he needed a quick guy with him, which was white, and heath went deeper and had a good work rate.

Hendry was pushed out on short term form with Redmond playing a blinder, not a good decision long term, but City couldn't keep them all happy, and this was over 2 years before Reid left and had an excellent season when Hendry and Allen were down the road.

Depends how you look at it.
Allen played as a central striker in a City team which was heading for relegation in our first season back in the old Division one.
Heath,and other, more team orientated seasoned pros joined us and we escaped relegation before finishing 5th next season.
Heath played his part.i preferred Allen as a pure footballer..we all did.
But both Kendall and Reid saw the value of a hard working 2nd striker up front,and ,as i say Kendall and Reid won a lot more in the game than Clive allen ever did.
The team comes first.every time.And Reid also managed a top 5 finish with city in the top division,his first managerial post at a big club,not bad for a rookie manager juggling both a playing career and managing City.
Dont be so quick to dismiss his efforts for our club...yes it ended badly,but it normally does for a manager when they leave a club but not many of our managers in our 125 year history finished 5th or higher.

Reid got the most out of the players he had, and Heath ended up midfield for a lot of it, and back as a striker at burnely were he scored again.

Allen didn't suit the style of play at the time, when quinn was second highest scorer in Div 1, he needed a quick guy with him, which was white, and heath went deeper and had a good work rate.

Hendry was pushed out on short term form with Redmond playing a blinder, not a good decision long term, but City couldn't keep them all happy, and this was over 2 years before Reid left and had an excellent season when Hendry and Allen were down the road.

Burnley were in the 2nd division when Heath scored all his goals for them lol. That was his level as he demonstrated with 4 goals in 75 games in the big league. A terrible decision to continue to play him for as long as Reid did! White played further forward mainly when Heath left, scoring 7 in 7 at the start of the 1993 season!!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.