Public enquiry into Manchester bombing

I find that claim about the police not knowing about the concert impossible to believe. A major city centre event, with 20k (?) attending. There would need to be police on traffic duty, surely. Never mind having units on standby in case of some emergency. Wouldn't the owners of the arena, and the concert promoter, liaise with the emergency services and the local council in the weeks leading up to such an event?

I find that claim about the police not knowing about the concert impossible to believe. A major city centre event, with 20k (?) attending. There would need to be police on traffic duty, surely. Never mind having units on standby in case of some emergency. Wouldn't the owners of the arena, and the concert promoter, liaise with the emergency services and the local council in the weeks leading up to such an event?
Arenas are responsbile for their own security and BTP were responsible.

Units on standby? Are people going to put their hands in their pockets to fund the extra tens of thousands of extra police to enable forces to have staff simply on 'standby' for every event?

Ok as you have all the answers, why haven't you volunteered as a Special Constable for your local force?

You may get some actual insight and knowledge then instead of spouting ignorant shite. Do you care to wonder how many officers would have been on duty in Birmingham City Centre at that time? How many scenes did they have to preserve? How many other demands at exactly the same time-prob more than 75% of available staff already tied up with other immediate jobs, prisoners. But of course you know better.

I was too busy in the army pal, the fact is that for whatever reason, the signals the general public gave were ignored.

FWIW I support the police and think they get too hard of a time.

I was too busy in the army pal, the fact is that for whatever reason, the signals the general public gave were ignored.

FWIW I support the police and think they get too hard of a time.
I just know that the general public assume there are all these cops waiting for something to do. The reality is those on response are run ragged with job after job, there simply aren't enough to go round. I feel great sympathy for the Inspector who wouldve been in charge in Birmingham and Manchester for that matter-the stress is overwhelming. Nobody on the frontline wants to a shit job but in the last 10 years or so I have seen colleagues leave in their droves because the job has been run into the ground. 25 years is plenty for me.

I just know that the general public assume there are all these cops waiting for something to do. The reality is those on response are run ragged with job after job, there simply aren't enough to go round. I feel great sympathy for the Inspector who wouldve been in charge in Birmingham and Manchester for that matter-the stress is overwhelming. Nobody on the frontline wants to a shit job but in the last 10 years or so I have seen colleagues leave in their droves because the job has been run into the ground. 25 years is plenty for me.

You're preaching to the converted pal, respect to you for doing a thankless job for that long.

However, I mentioned the police and security staff (Someone mentioned M15 in the thread too) either ignored or didn't take seriously the public's concerns, I'm not saying that that isn't an explanation for it but the top brass trying to claim that they didn't know about the event is disingenuous at best surely?

You're preaching to the converted pal, respect to you for doing a thankless job for that long.

However, I mentioned the police and security staff (Someone mentioned M15 in the thread too) either ignored or didn't take seriously the public's concerns, I'm not saying that that isn't an explanation for it but the top brass trying to claim that they didn't know about the event is disingenuous at best surely?
fair enough, I apologise for being on the defensive, but we are getting it from all angles right now! When something goes horribly wrong it always involves a whole series of mistakes that led to the end result-that's why these inquiries are important, so we do learn. I get the impression that GMP left BTP to police it-that decision wouldve been made weeks/months before. I cannot speak for the individuals involved who decided not to challenge him.

As for Birmingham I can assure you that first hour or so wouldve been chaos as the events unfolded.

Not according to the BBC report of today’s evidence.

According to the MEN "Six NWAS paramedics were there within the first 30 minutes, the inquiry was told.". I know there were two of them on the scene within 20 minutes as my daughter and her partner work with the two guys. One, Paddy, was on duty and the other was off duty but lived nearby so came in once he heard the reports. The police restricted the numbers of people on site initially.

Newspaper report

According to the MEN "Six NWAS paramedics were there within the first 30 minutes, the inquiry was told.". I know there were two of them on the scene within 20 minutes as my daughter and her partner work with the two guys. One, Paddy, was on duty and the other was off duty but lived nearby so came in once he heard the reports. The police restricted the numbers of people on site initially.

Newspaper report
You have linked to a newspaper report from May.
I stand by what I linked to as evidence presented today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.