COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly any doubters on the rising death numbers - both in here and the media who still seem to be denying reality - face no choice now. They are rising and this week have shown signs of accelerting. And the focus is the NW.

Yes still modest numbers but do not be fooled they quickly will not be if we do nothing.

Those annoyed at the regional changes today will see why something had to be done.

England hospital deaths today 14 . Last week it was 9. They are rising like this pretty much every day now and even up to last week it was a rarity.

More over the NW added 8 of those deaths.

This alongside Nicola Sturgeon reporting the increase in older people now testing positive and the very concerning icu ventilator patient numbers rising daily that no media are reporting yet. We cannot do nothing.

I'm not saying they're great, but most countries are struggling to contain this virus, trying to balance the infection rate whilst keeping the economy alive is a ridiculously tough ask - I promise you, i'm no Tory but they have a huge pool of scientific advisers on all this aswell.
Obviously just as incompetent as the politicians

One thing I don't get with the Scottish stats is the number of tests of new people per day.

2 or 3 weeks ago it was around 15,000 and has slowly regressed back to around 4,000 odd today. I wonder what's happened, if this is related to the backlog or what. But that figure shouldn't be trending downwards at this stage.

England hospital death data:

17 Sep adds 3 = 3 after one day.

16 Sep adds 4 = 10 after two days.....The last time we reached 10 after two days was 23 July and the last time more was 15 July.

15 Sep adds 4 = 12 after three days. The last time we had 12 after three days was15 July.

14 Sep adds 0 = 9 after four days.

13 Sep adds 2 = 13 after five days. This is also the highest five day total since 15 July and just the third double digit since 1 Aug and these other two were just 10.

After a 28 day run of single figure 5 day totals up to last weekend we have now had two over 10 in the past few days and two of the four days coming up behind it are already in double figures and a third is at 9 with two days to go.

The past week has seen a marked and obvious and in past few days escalating rise in these numbers.

Which as I have said for a few days now would be the consequence of the rapidly escalating icu vetilator beds in England over the past 10 days which the media are not reporting. Or being steered not to report I guess.

Yet even today a journalist paid to write this stuff in the Telegraph denied either of these things are happening.

I am not a scientist or a journlist but I can read numbers.

They are.

Last edited:
One thing I don't get with the Scottish stats is the number of tests of new people per day.

2 or 3 weeks ago it was around 15,000 and has slowly regressed back to around 4,000 odd today. I wonder what's happened, if this is related to the backlog or what. But that figure shouldn't be trending downwards at this stage.

Nicola Stuegeon today said there were problems because of the backlog but they are almost caught up on that now after today.

Watching the news last night they had a piece on Italy and the experience when arriving at the airport. Everyone gets a test and gets the result in 30 minutes and can then go about their day. I don't think the government could have impacted the numbers much more so far, but to not have basic measures like this in place is pretty poor. If they start saying there is a shortage of ventilators again I think that will be the final straw.

If they had taken this seriously they should have shut the borders when they saw what was happening in China instead of letting people bring covid back from their half term ski holidays in February. It would have been a lot easier to prop up the airline industry and tourism with public money rather than the entire economy whilst we do the lockdown hokey cokey.

Wales data: 1 death sadly. And 185 new cases at 1.8% of tests.

Last week it was 0 deaths. And 133 new cases at 1.5% of tests,

Like everywhere (especially Scotland) the % of people being tested positive is escalating and in Scotland is now above the level the WHO reckon is a second wave.

It might well be in England too if we actually had any kind of working testing strategy right now.

Last edited:
So already it seems (N Ireland still to come) our hospital death number today will be double what it was a week ago. The all settings number has risen from low single figures to around 15/20 too in that time. If it carries on doubling we will be at 100 deaths a day by October. We have to try and stop that. Hence ever more serious restrictions I am afraid.

Would be good if they could come up with a joined up strategy announced at the same time by all.

very good and important point - every news broadcast explanation has to spend 5 minutes explaining to the viewers the different regulations in the 4 parts of the U.K. - that’s before you even get to the regional/localized lock down regulations

it would be like the government/media in Portugal explaining their current rules and then going onto explain Spains And Frances etc which thankfully we don’t have to bother with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.