COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
These plastic face shields are a complete and utter waste of time, they don't stop inbound molecules, as you breathe air from the side and below the shield, air that's coing from wherever an infection would be airborne anyway, and they only stop outbound molecules that hit the shield directly, and the finest particles that actually matter, won't settle on a shield, they'll just deflect down and to the sides.

Anyone wearing one of them and thinking they are helping themselves or anyone else is a fool.
Like many you miss the whole point on masks and visors. It's not to protect you it's to protect others. Visor are scientifically proven to reduce the radius of spread of vapour and in turn reduction the chances of an infected person infecting others.

I think the problem is that the tiny proportion of the population who have a compelling reason such as you describe for not wearing a mask are vastly outnumbered by a load of cunts who just can't be arsed and think they don't need to follow the rules.
I'd agree with that and that a better identification method is needed as we know many cannot be trusted.

Like many you miss the whole point on masks and visors. It's not to protect you it's to protect others. Visor are scientifically proven to reduce the radius of spread of vapour and in turn reduction the chances of an infected person infecting others.
I think it works both ways, in that they do offer protection from airborne particles

6 months in and my brother in law has not seen his wife at all, even on video. She had a massive stroke 4 years ago(she is now 80 and he is 90) and she is entirely bedridden and can only move her right hand. The nurses haven't the time to hold a video call so he gets a phone call every other day.

It appears that the government has other priorities than to help people like this. Surely some systems could have been devised to help. He has been self isolating in the hope that this might help get him in sometime in the future.

We just need to make use of the data much much better. It needs to be published at an individual level incorporating the following: age, gender, occupation, Covid-19 illness status (home, hospital, recovered), location, believed source of infection (pub, school, work, household), date recovered, and the cluster-ID (if it is collected, and you’d hope it was), even postcode or street names.
These data would allow many people to identify insights on patterns of transmission, which could be widely shared for targeted social distancing.
Let the numbers show everyone the patterns of transmission and share them for targeted social-distancing. Give people the facts. Let them see for themselves, what’s dangerous and what’s not. Alter their own behaviour rather than interpret unfathomable rules and conflicting guidance.
Publish the numbers, daily, like a weather forecast. Despite what the view of many seems to be, most people aren’t totally stupid and if they can see the infections are in their local pub/corner shop/coffee shop/church or mosque, people will stop going…
I would imagine that no one wants to actually catch this disease, let alone pass it onto someone else, so we should give people all the known information to help them make the right choices.
It’s really not that difficult although I’d imagine that BoJo and his advisors, in Command and Control central will find it next to impossible.

"Only get a test if you have symptoms of Covid..."

Bear with me but I'm going counter-intuitive. If you've got symptoms, by the time you get a test - which could give a false negative - you'd be halfway through the 14 day isolation period. But if you've got symptoms, just stay home and don't spread it.

But it's people who don't know they've got it who are more likely to be out and about spreading it.

So wouldn't it make more sense to prioritise testing for people who think they may have been exposed (way more than those tracked and traced) but don't have symptoms?

(I fear my logic may be awry somewhere...)

"Only get a test if you have symptoms of Covid..."

Bear with me but I'm going counter-intuitive. If you've got symptoms, by the time you get a test - which could give a false negative - you'd be halfway through the 14 day isolation period. But if you've got symptoms, just stay home and don't spread it.

But it's people who don't know they've got it who are more likely to be out and about spreading it.

So wouldn't it make more sense to prioritise testing for people who think they may have been exposed (way more than those tracked and traced) but don't have symptoms?

(I fear my logic may be awry somewhere...)

The issue there is that you will have to test everyone who has been in contact with someone who has any symptom but not been confirmed. Only 3-4% of all that get a test are positive which then lead to track and trace. Presuming most of the 250k have some symptoms, your method would lead to anyone the has been in contact with the 250k to get a test and not the 3-4%. I get your idea but think it would swamp the system.

Already drained and worn down by the thought of whatever fresh hell the government's scientific advisors are gonna recommend at 11am. I know some of it may be necessary, but fucking hell it's exhausting isn't it.
It’s not going to be pretty, there’s obviously a reason that they are doing it separately from Boris.

The issue there is that you will have to test everyone who has been in contact with someone who has any symptom but not been confirmed. Only 3-4% of all that get a test are positive which then lead to track and trace. Presuming most of the 250k have some symptoms, your method would lead to anyone the has been in contact with the 250k to get a test and not the 3-4%. I get your idea but think it would swamp the system.
In theory the system can be massively expanded.

Schools,workplaces any organisation with more than 500 staff could get one of these rapid testing kits. Assuming they work.

Boris's plan sounds great. As ever the question is does the technology work. Many, I think its 8, London hospitals are using the rapid tests. It's supposed to be as accurate as the lab-based tests.

Allied to antibody testing it would be quite easy to create a growing pool of people who could go to football, go out, work etc etc. Needs thought and it needs the tech to be sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.