Jules Koundé

Mangala came from Portugal, I think any signing from that league is risky. I also think signing from Italy can be risky too.
But if we look at our signings from Spain, they’ve mostly done really well, including the defenders. When we look at all our centre backs in the last 10 years excluding Kompany. The most successful have come from the Spanish league. The way teams play in Spain, particular the top 6-8 teams, it’s probably just as tough to defend in as the PL nowadays.

Plus, he doesn’t just have pace, is excellent in the air, reads through game well and he’s a great passer. I think he’s made for our style of football. Yeah he’s young, but he’s very competitive. If he’s this good now at 21, where he’s playing week in week out for a top Spanish team and winning European trophies, he could be the best in the world at 24. Whereas Koulibaly will be 33-34 by this age.
Idk Otamendi came from Spain and was the best Spanish Defender in that Season

It really depends on the Person

Anyone with little knowhow knew Otamendi would never fit in a Pep system. Yet Pep helped him improve his game and we won the season with him being in the PFA team of the year. Been washed since because he's rash and not a regular.

Koundé is already a profile that relies on ball playing abilities and reads the game well/is sound aerially. Obviously much will depend on him adapting to Prem and understanding our system but Pep will undoubtedly help him a lot, just as he has with Laporte.

I think he's already better than any of the partners for Laporte that we have at the moment. What he isn't is a world class commanding presence, but if Laporte stays fit, then there's no reason that he can't be a very good partner for him for now, and improve into a world class player over a few years. I guess it's whether you want to buy a world class CB now who "guarantees" success, and then have to look for another in a couple of years, or buy a very good young CB that will allow us to tie down the position for years to come as he improves. Obviously there's no guarantee he'll develop into that player, but then there's no guarantee that Koulibaly won't come here and turn out to be past it, or struggle to adapt to the league.

Yeah 100%. My issue is we’ve signed a lot of defenders with the hope of them becoming world class and it hasn’t worked out bar Laporte. Was excited to bring in a player of Koulibaly’s calibre. IMO he would’ve guaranteed a higher chance of bringing in trophies for what could be Pep’s last season.

What is 'raw' about him ?

Compared to Otamendi, Stones, Garcia, Mendy, Zinchenko, Cancelo, for instance ?

I’m not comparing him to our players, they’re the ones who he’s meant to be replacing so it’s a bit of a redundant comparison.

Kounde has had two seasons of senior football and he’s 21, he’s inexperienced. I like Kounde but in terms of immediate results who do you really think improves the squad, him or Koulibaly?

Has he been a total failure at City? I mean he’s not been the best defender in the world and I’ve not been his biggest fan, but he’s made 200+ appearances for us and he’s won the league twice and been in the PL team of the year.

And 5 years later can anyone really argue that it's been an awful signing? Granted, he's not good enough currently, but certainly he's not been worth the vitriol he gets on here.

He's had a good run, some great performances, some mistakes, but we've had 5 years of good service from him and whilst he won't be mentioned in the same breath as some of our signings. He's certainly played his part in our success.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.