COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting the summary Kaz.

NIck Hancock was on This Morning earlier and confirmed Boris is doing a conference tomorrow to give the decision on action. Though he said the decision has not been signed off yet from what he said it has been agreed in essentials and will not be a full national lockdown. Schools will stay open. But pubs may at a minimum be restricted.
No point restricting them at all, either open or shut as the people who are going to use them will cram in during the opened hours anyway!!

Like many you miss the whole point on masks and visors. It's not to protect you it's to protect others.
I absolutely don't, and if you read my post I state why it's not protecting others. People do wear them because they think they are protected, but these perspex shields do nothing for anyone at all, because air is free to move in and out, from the side or below, they offer nobody any protection, the wearer nor the vulnerable if the wearer carries it.

Thanks for posting the summary Kaz.

NIck Hancock was on This Morning earlier and confirmed Boris is doing a conference tomorrow to give the decision on action. Though he said the decision has not been signed off yet from what he said it has been agreed in essentials and will not be a full national lockdown. Schools will stay open. But pubs may at a minimum be restricted.
i probably didn't catch it all or enough detail so feel free to add

Hancock earlier also claimed they did a record number of tests yesterday - almost a quarter of a million.

If they know these numbers then why have they deliberately stopped letting the public know them daily and just release them once a week in a pandemic they admit has been doubling in size each of those weeks.

I am all for supporting this government but it is the way they control the data to suit their own ends that annoys me.

As you have seen most of what the scientists said today was obvious to anyone reading and studying the data. But 99% of the country does not have the time or awareress to hunt for it hour after hour.

These briefings now should be regular not just when they want to make some lecturing point.

And the data needs clearer daily release. Not hidden like they have with the number of tests. So we can see the % number that all nations but England release daily.

I have been saying this about the tests for weeks now in here before we even knew there was a problem with the testing. So its not some retrospective judgement. And when you see the problems they were having over testing before that went public you have to think they did this on purpose to hide the news.

Maybe they did not but stupid moves like this imply otherwise and breed suspicion.

Too many political games are being played and a football forum should not be the best way to see the data posted by someone with no expertise like myself. That is the most absurd thing of all. Because it is avoidable if they treated people like adults all the time. Not just when they want the sheep to go back into the pen.

I think its a pity they only concentrated on emphasising the worst case scanarios in Europe ie France and Spain. No presentation or explanation of the lower rates of infection and deaths in Sweden, Italy or Germany or any discussion on herd immunity.

I absolutely don't, and if you read my post I state why it's not protecting others. People do wear them because they think they are protected, but these perspex shields do nothing for anyone at all, because air is free to move in and out, from the side or below, they offer nobody any protection, the wearer nor the vulnerable if the wearer carries it.

People don't realise this but masks and shields are there to prevent you from spreading the virus to someone else and not the other way round.

Masks provide no protection from the air you breathe and neither do shields. They do however stop you from sneezing or coughing and sending the virus far into the air which is why it's pointless if most people don't wear them.

The only way to protect yourself from the virus in the air is to wear healthcare grade PPE (filtered masks or respirators).

Just a quick one: considering the number of people they are testing there is exactly no chance that there can be any certainty whatsoever in what Chris Whitty has said below. They can guess, which is what they are doing, but they are essentially picking a number out of thin air and presenting it as scientific truth. For those with a knowledge of maths, the key number here is not the predicted infections, it's the standard error on the predicted infections, which will be enormous due to the small number of tests.

Citing the ONS, study he said that it was now estimated that roughly 70,000 in the UK have a Covid infection and around 6,000 a day are getting the infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.