COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And?
People were being careful and the concensus of opinion was that we could begin to return to normality.
People are no longer being careful so advice changes. We have to limit economic damage as best we can.

Sorry but you're rewriting history there. That was not the consensus of opinion in July.

The Chief Medical Officer said in July that the UK had reached its limit on how much more could be opened up if the virus was to be kept under control. The government responded by spending all of August telling us that we all ought to needlessly go back to the office even if we could do our jobs perfectly well at home. That was clearly over and above what Whitty was saying we could afford to do. Especially with us needing to keep the decks clear in order to make way for schools to reopen.

Scientists have repeatedly warned us that we were a long way off any kind of return to normality. So it's entirely correct to criticise the government for having to change its messaging

The England hospital data in detail. Easily the grimmest in a long time I must say. And almost impossible for anyone to credibly deny the increase in deaths seems to be escalating.

21 Sep adds 2 = 2 after one day.

20 Sep adds 12 = 15 after two days. A number to make you gulp I trust. The last time the second day total has been that high is 9 July. As I told you the other day these 'last time' dates will keep heading backwards as a sure sign of numbers going the wtrong way.

19 Sep adds 2 = 8 after three days.

18 Sep adds 4 = 13 after four days. Again you have to go back over 2 months to find higher numbers.

17 Sep adds 4 = 17 after five days. This is the highest five day total since 13 July. And the last 4 five day totals have risen from 9 to 12 to 15 to 17. A very clear escalation in just a few days.

14 Sep added another 2 to take it into double figures at 11. So now we have six successive days with double figure numbers already this week - something that last happened on 10 July.

The other two were older deaths - on 4 Sep one added to make the total 6 (that's how recently that sort of low number was common).

And one remarkably as far back as 31 March. A date for which there are now 662 deaths. To put the numbers today (bad as they are) iin context.

Scotland going a lot harder. There's no date I've seen yet but it sounds like they're banning separate households seeing each other in the near future.

Yep we are effectively back in a full lockdown with households banned from meeting up.

So boozers have to shut at 10pm due to excessive alcohol intake being a huge concern in the spread of Corona. What's to stop me going in 2 hours earlier than I normally would and drinking the same amount? Or is it just after 10pm Corona fancys infecting people?

Apologies if already covered, just mind boggling really, they don't have a clue what to do.
I can only assume Boris is trying in this next phase of measures to reduce the rate of infection levels to a more manageable level, whilst still giving the public a small carrot.

Should there be no measurable impact, I can see pubs being closed fully again

Sorry, but I disagree. It's a ridiculously stupid approach. Collectively I'm fine to work with 30 or 40 people but I can't go and visit my brother or sister after work. For the love of god, we need some middle ground and common sense.
You can go and see them ,no more than six of you together at the same time is the current rule

Can all the experts on here explain what should be done to get this virus under control as no country seems to have effectively managed to do so other than someone like N.Z who effectively closed it's borders for months and had a far stricter lockdown than we did.

Scotland going a lot harder. There's no date I've seen yet but it sounds like they're banning separate households seeing each other in the near future.
Reveiwed in 3 weeks, though it's only meeting in houses, 2 households can meet outdoors or in Restaurants, cafes and similar

Can all the experts on here explain what should be done to get this virus under control as no country seems to have effectively managed to do so other than someone like N.Z who effectively closed it's borders for months and had a far stricter lockdown than we did.
There's an argument the virus is currently under control based on the fact that the death rate has been flatlined since the beginning of August. The only major effect of the new measures will be more businesses going under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.