COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a random note I just noticed the breakdown of co-morbidities in the NHS England site. why are "teated for a mental health condition" and "Learning disability and or Autism" a co-morbidity for a virus?

View attachment 2763
I've no real idea what this is trying to say, but those %ages at the end are ridiculous without some context, as they add up to over 180%.

I dont think this is about optomistic views or doom and gloom. The only sensible response is to plan for the worst but hope that the worst never happens and expect a likely reality somewhere in the middle.

I doubt any second wave will be close to matching the first. It may not even last long enough or rise high enough to earn the term wave.

But right now we do not know that and can only react to the warning signs and plan based on worst case scenarios and hope that by luck, judgement or careful planning - in decreasing orders of likelihood right now - things will go the best they can. And this is over sooner rather than later. As all possibilities may yet occur.

Nicola Sturgeon says they are seeing evidence of some success in reducing cases in the west of Scotland. But accepts the lowest levels they can reach will not be zero. But when asked would not say how.

She is opposed to the theory of allowing herd immunity to build because this virus kills the most vulnerable people and you cannot just ignore that reality.

Household spread within family homes and hospitality are the two main drivers of rising cases Nicola Sturgeon emphasises.

Her chief scientist supports this.

But that these things are near doubling right now both sides of the border is not seriously arguable.

Unless 1 and 1 does not make 2 in the new post Covid world.
People are still trying to deny it, but it's been clear what is happening for 2 weeks now, doubling 1 to 2 might not seem important, but 2>4>8>16>32>64>128>256>512>1024, and that's just 13 doubles from 1.

The Glasow restrictions have not yet started to reduce cases in Glasgow but have slowed the rate of transmission in these two key areas. So cases are not growing as fast as they would without intervention. Adds Nicola Sturgeon.

Hopefully the same is true in Greater Manchester.

My wife conducted a junior Yr 3 reading assessment yesterday of her Yr 4 class, just to recap and establish where they are.

It's a school in a poor district and the reading levels are way short of where they should be. She was shocked and angry in equal measure that most of them couldn't even manage a page of relative ease.

My wife is a great teacher and my little girl had read all the Harry Potter books by herself by the time she was eight.

Teachers are being hung out to dry here. It's a disgrace.

She says parents at her school see them more as a babysitting service and it clear none of them were arsed what their kids were doing during lockdown.

These kids don't stand a chance - and neither do our teachers.
My daughter teaches year 3 and I despair at some of the issues she has to deal with. Part of me hopes she sticks it as a long term career, the other part hopes she jacks it in for something less stressful as it does her health no good even at the age of 27! Parents need to do their bit and take some responsibility - even more so now

I didn't miss it, any more than I missed mandating everyone has to wear a hazmat suit 24x7. Neither would be justified. Requiring people to wear a mask when in a shop is entirely justified. If we stopped most of the infections through nose and mouth then we'd be in a much, much better place, wouldn't we.

The problem is not the people who are reasonable and responsible. The problem is the people who are too rebellious or just too "couldn't give a toss" to follow the rules. It is such people who are responsible for the rise in infection rates we have seen.

Maybe it is, or maybe the masks arent actually very good at protecting us and people who wear them are also catching it? I wear one at all times but they don't seem to be doing much at the moment, unless they are helping with viral load which may be the case.

Household spread within family homes and hospitality are the two main drivers of rising cases Nicola Sturgeon emphasises.

Her chief scientist supports this.
Hancock was all over the tv two days ago saying the transmission was at home so i was expecting curbs on two many households mixing , i think nicola has got it right

My daughter teaches year 3 and I despair at some of the issues she has to deal with. Part of me hopes she sticks it as a long term career, the other part hopes she jacks it in for something less stressful as it does her health no good even at the age of 27! Parents need to do their bit and take some responsibility - even more so now
My mrs is a teacher. Shes in at 7am, gets home at gone 5. After our kids are in bed the lap top comes out til 10pm.
When you work it out shes on less than minimum wage.

the jib aint what it was when she went into it 20 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.