COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly - and this is a huge aside, admittedly - if I was in charge, I'd have every single person chipped at birth so we could track your every movement. Every crime, every assault, every car theft, we'd know who was there and probably we'd know who did it. Who cares who (or more realistically what computer) is tracking you if you've done nothing wrong.
giphy.gif

I’m not and never have compared it to flu but we did have over 50000 excess deaths in the 18/19 flu season. We had hospitals on black alert (or shut, as it’s also known) and, primarily, it killed the elderly who die in their hundreds, every day from a variety of respiratory illnesses.
What this has done is wipe out thousands of people who might have been saved by the NHS, had it not shut down. Cardiac, cancer, diabetes and mental health referrals down by 50% suggests a lot of non-Covid deaths are still waiting down the line.

Sorry, I don't use this term often but that is absolute bollocks.

Looking at the data from the ONS site the flu season From Oct 18 through to May 19 we were 8,225 under the 5 year average.

Data here

Whilst its half time the website is working so quick update. Though you may wish I had not bothered.

Regional scoreboard:

London 620 - up from 530 and doybke two days ago to new record.

Midlands 632 - down massively from 898

Yorkshire 808 - up from 683 to second recrd day after yesyerday's.

But North West - oh dear - 1890 - a 50% increase on 1267 - and by nearly 500 a new record. Pretty awful day that took the North West Pop score over 1000 - miles ahead of every other part of the UK.

THe biggest percentage of the UK total from the NW too. WE are starting to look like the epicentre of Europe.

Sorry, I don't use this term often but that is absolute bollocks.

Looking at the data from the ONS site the flu season From Oct 18 through to May 19 we were 8,225 under the 5 year average.

Data here

Apologies, I should have said 17/18, not 18/19. Even so, there’s not really any need for the phrase ‘absolute bollocks‘, is there?
I just copied the date wrong from a post I made last night.
Here are the ONS main points and here’s the link, just so you can see for yourself.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...wales/2017to2018provisionaland2016to2017final

• In the 2017 to 2018 winter period, there were an estimated 50,100 excess winter deaths in England and Wales.
  • The number of excess winter deaths in 2017 to 2018 was the highest recorded since winter 1975 to 1976.
  • During the winter months of 2017 to 2018, the number of daily deaths exceeded the daily five-year average for all days except 25 March.
  • Excess winter mortality in 2017 to 2018 significantly increased from 2016 to 2017 in all English regions and Wales, with Wales having the highest regional index.
  • Excess winter mortality continued to be highest in females and people aged 85 and over.
  • Excess winter mortality doubled among males aged 0 to 64 years between 2016 to 2017 and 2017 to 2018.
  • Over one-third (34.7%) of all excess winter deaths were caused by respiratory diseases.

As you might expect - the GM scoreboard is a huge new record too at 786. Out of those 1890. So around 41% which is not too bad pro rata.

However, there were records all over the place in GM numbers. Six of the boroughs had them on the same day. And they were not all the ones you would expect.

Stockport's good day yesterday is history today. But even though Trafford reasserted its best in GM status it also had a record high and only closed the Pop score Gap by 1 on Stockport.

Details later after the match. But who would have thought 786 cases was possible in GM in one day a month ago when the NW was getting nowhere near that in total?

But not alone Leicester at 92 had its worst day in ages too. Blackburn had its best at just 22. And Birmingham at another huge 270 today took its Pop Score into the 900s.

Honestly - and this is a huge aside, admittedly - if I was in charge, I'd have every single person chipped at birth so we could track your every movement. Every crime, every assault, every car theft, we'd know who was there and probably we'd know who did it. Who cares who (or more realistically what computer) is tracking you if you've done nothing wrong.

And it would protect the innocent from miscarriages of justice. Dna, micro chips, id cards, phone tracking, security cameras, ANPR, whatever works best to track or trace is fine by me. Be a good citizen, be a model citizen and all shall be well.

Apologies, I should have said 17/18, not 18/19. Even so, there’s not really any need for the phrase ‘absolute bollocks‘, is there?
I just copied the date wrong from a post I made last night.
Here are the ONS main points and here’s the link, just so you can see for yourself.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...wales/2017to2018provisionaland2016to2017final

• In the 2017 to 2018 winter period, there were an estimated 50,100 excess winter deaths in England and Wales.
  • The number of excess winter deaths in 2017 to 2018 was the highest recorded since winter 1975 to 1976.
  • During the winter months of 2017 to 2018, the number of daily deaths exceeded the daily five-year average for all days except 25 March.
  • Excess winter mortality in 2017 to 2018 significantly increased from 2016 to 2017 in all English regions and Wales, with Wales having the highest regional index.
  • Excess winter mortality continued to be highest in females and people aged 85 and over.
  • Excess winter mortality doubled among males aged 0 to 64 years between 2016 to 2017 and 2017 to 2018.
  • Over one-third (34.7%) of all excess winter deaths were caused by respiratory diseases.

Sorry yeah was a knee jerk reaction language wise

Problem here is the ONS seem to have the same terminology ( excess deaths ) for 2 different things.

1 version of excess deaths being used in most places is above the 5 year average. Going by which we have not had any “bad” years in the last 10.

The calc here is winter period vs previous summer period. But uses the same term.

Psycho!!

Sorry yeah was a knee jerk reaction language wise

Problem here is the ONS seem to have the same terminology ( excess deaths ) for 2 different things.

1 version of excess deaths being used in most places is above the 5 year average. Going by which we have not had any “bad” years in the last 10.

The calc here is winter period vs previous summer period. But uses the same term.
All I’m getting at really is that 50000 extra people died that winter and nobody gave a hoot. Hardly any died last winter but then those who might have gone in a bad winter but didn’t, then died in April and May.
I just think a bit of perspective is needed sometimes. For example, we’ve gone to 40 Covid deaths annonuced today, which is less than 2.5% of the total number of people who died today, and every day, in the U.K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.