Is left back really a problem?

Mendy is probably never going to leave City until the end of his contract. Doubt any team would go near him because of his injury history alone.

Zinchenko may be hard to offload as well. Not heard any rumours about anyone coming in for him.

Tagliafico is slow yes , but hes a very good technical player. Can dribble , put balls into the box and is defensive minded
Not really slow mate, he can run up and down fairly well and has loads of stamina. He's not a Davies but not quite your Leighton Baines speed at left back. He is about as quick as Mendy was when he arrived pre injury.

Mendy is probably never going to leave City until the end of his contract. Doubt any team would go near him because of his injury history alone.

Zinchenko may be hard to offload as well. Not heard any rumours about anyone coming in for him.
Zinchenko cant be on high wage so I don't think being unable to shift him would cause issues.

We could try and offer Zinchenko to Ajax in exchange for Tagliafico. Apparently his value is under £30m

Left back is no problem, Aké plays in that position in the Dutch national team. Cancelo can play there too. Mendy has no clue what defending is, why he keeps playing only Pep knows.

I would have preferred an useful left back for a change who can actually help us offensively and defensively but if we are not going to sign a new LB I very much hope to see Ake as a LB. True, he will not contribute much offensively but so will Mendy. Compared to Mendy Ake knows how to defend and I will feel much more confident with a defense of Ake, Dias, Laporte Walker.

Zinchenko cant be on high wage so I don't think being unable to shift him would cause issues.

He may not be but the last time an offer came in he said he’d stay put. If he doesn’t want to go then it’ll be him here till his contract is done.

Well, it depends on how much he’d like a fresh start and wanting to play in midfield at club level and not just with his national team.

He may not be but the last time an offer came in he said he’d stay put. If he doesn’t want to go then it’ll be him here till his contract is done.

Well, it depends on how much he’d like a fresh start and wanting to play in midfield at club level and not just with his national team.

I think if it's clear he's going to get no game time, he would probably agree to leave this time.

I think the issue is more tactical than personnel. We rely on the attackers taking their chances, because our tactics naturally expose the defence more. That also means that we rely on a Fernandinho type to cover the full backs. On the rare occasions that we do sit back and defend, Mendy is actually quite good as an out-and-out defender. But when he's defending a counter-attack with no cover, he's frequently caught out. Walker less so, possibly because of his pace and experience playing the system.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.