#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So because Fernandinho has done it that means Rodri must also be able to do it?
Fernandinho has been a one off, not many midfielders come into the prem at 29yrs old and then dominate for over 5 years. He is a completely different player both technically and physically to Rodri. It is not fair to compare.
Rodri was supposed to replace Fernandinho, we have to compare them. As for Fern being a one-off player, Casemiro held a similar role at RM as just one example. Maybe our mistake was not signing a Brazilian.

It's only been one season so Rodri can still 'click' the way that Bernardo played better in his second season but he's gotten a lot of time on the pitch and he seems more like a mediocre 8 to me not a 6, certainly not a single 6.

Not a player this team needs whatsoever.

He’s not a good enough passer of the ball, he’s not quick enough and he doesn’t have the desire (just look at his fucking pathetic jogging back for Maddison’s goal, if I’d been in the ground I’d have gone in the pitch and slapped him round the back of the head for that)
I think that jogging back you mention is the fastest he can move

Rodri was supposed to replace Fernandinho, we have to compare them. As for Fern being a one-off player, Casemiro held a similar role at RM as just one example. Maybe our mistake was not signing a Brazilian.

It's only been one season so Rodri can still 'click' the way that Bernardo played better in his second season but he's gotten a lot of time on the pitch and he seems more like a mediocre 8 to me not a 6, certainly not a single 6.
I think we also need to remember that Rodri's only 24, that is quite young for that position. He seems a very laid back sort of player (both in his game and life), and I've always thought Fernandhino was quite laid back, but he has a ruthless streak in football that is quite unique. They're not the same player, but I feel confident that Rodri will grow into it eventually.

It was interesting that Vardy said yesterday that he'd basically been asked to man mark Rodri early in the game to nullify him, and it was apparant, I wonder if that has ever happened to Rodri before, being man marked by a centre forward ? Hopefully a lesson he'll learn from.

I certainly didn't expect him to be the replacement for Fernandinho. Its basically impossible to replace Fernandinho. I can't believe that Pep thought he could, I watched him a few times for Atletico and we have got exactly what he showed in Spain.

I have been laughed at on here for mentioning it but Rodri needs to sit at the base of a midfield and have energy around him. I don't think Bernardo or Foden are those players, Gundogan is far too passive and unathletic and Fernandinho is ageing.

I would then say, why the fuck did we buy him knowing we need to then buy someone else to put alongside him but I can't answer that question. For me, if we could go and get Aouar we would solve this problem almost overnight. Aouar, KDB and Rodri in midfield. Allow Fernandinho and Gundogan to rotate any of those 3 positions in cup games etc. Sadly, I don't think its going to happen.

I remember saying similar things when we had Javi Garcia, I had watched him for Benfica and then when he signed for us and struggled, people jumped on him and blasted him for not being what they wanted.

Is there a fundamental problem with our scouting, do they believe that Rodri is going to gain 10yards of speed in the next year or is it poor management from Pep by leaving him out to dry in this current setup. I am not sure.

Maybe Rodri should convert to CB? I mean he's 24, has the time to convert, has the height and strength for that position whilst not possessing the speed (not something you get better at) which seems to be his biggest weakness. Vinny was a midfielder when he joined us.

Not a player this team needs whatsoever.

He’s not a good enough passer of the ball, he’s not quick enough and he doesn’t have the desire (just look at his fucking pathetic jogging back for Maddison’s goal, if I’d been in the ground I’d have gone in the pitch and slapped him round the back of the head for that)

Unfortunately I couldn't agree more, he doesn't sniff out danger for me. I'm confused at what his role is, is he there to break up attacks, start attacks or to do what he's currently doing which is not much.

Maybe Rodri should convert to CB? I mean he's 24, has the time to convert, has the height and strength for that position whilst not possessing the speed (not something you get better at) which seems to be his biggest weakness. Vinny was a midfielder when he joined us.

Kompany was predominantly a center-back at Anderlecht though. Yes he often played in midfield at HSV but he was a natural central defender.

Also, he was quick.

Exposed?! Are you hearing yourself? We've played 3 years with 1 DM and KDB & David silva ahead of them and it worked out great because they could RUN. Because that DM bothered running back. Now suddenly a 70m defensive midfielder operating alone is leaving them exposed? Give me a break.

Did you watch us in those three years you mention? KDB, Silva, Sane/Bernie, Jesus/Kun, Sterling ran their bollocks off week in week out and protected the defence. Gundogan was imperious as a lone 6 in 18/19 and yet this board rates him even lower than Rodri defensively. How do you think he managed to cope back then because we certainly didn’t ever get overran like we did yesterday?

Our issues run far deeper than pinning the lot on a single player, it is utter collective failure from multiple players and the system itself that has left us so frail defensively.

Did you watch us in those three years you mention? KDB, Silva, Sane/Bernie, Jesus/Kun, Sterling ran their bollocks off week in week out and protected the defence. Gundogan was imperious as a lone 6 in 18/19 and yet this board rates him even lower than Rodri defensively. How do you think he managed to cope back then because we certainly didn’t ever get overran like we did yesterday?

Our issues run far deeper than pinning the lot on a single player, it is utter collective failure from multiple players and the system itself that has left us so frail defensively.
and KDB, bernardo, sterling, mahrez all there! Foden does a ton of defensive work too! Everyone is pulling their shift except for this guy who casually strolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.