Welcome Ruben Dias!

Natural leader
Benfica supporters soon saw that for themselves when he stepped up to play for the first team in September 2017 following the sale of Victor Lindelof to Manchester United. Dias finished that first season with a place in Portugal's World Cup squad - the youngest player that Fernando Santos took to Russia in a group packed full of European champions.

Dias took it in his stride having been groomed for the role for years. He was Portugal's captain at the U20 World Cup in 2017. Luisao, the legendary Benfica defender who he would go on to replace, commented on how he had arrived fully formed as a leader. Tralhao had made him captain at junior level but it would have been more of a shock had he not.
He knows everything about leadership. You will see that at City once he is adapted. He will lead everything. He will be the coach's voice.Joao Tralhao on Ruben Dias

"He was my captain but he was not only my captain, he was the captain of every age-group that he played because his profile is that of the natural leader. He likes to lead. He knows how to lead. He knows how to be the coach's voice on the pitch and in the dressing room.

"He knows everything about leadership.
"You will see that at City once he is adapted. He will lead everything. I mean that in a good way. He will be the coach's voice. A player who can help the team do their tasks correctly.

"He will not just be a shouting leader, showing it with that behaviour, pushing players by saying, 'Come on, come on'. As well as that, he will be the one who actually leads the tasks. Telling them how they should organise in terms of the coach's idea. He can do both."

"The mentality is the same, it's win or win"

That interview really excites me.

Back 4 of Ake-Laporte-Dias-Walker/Cancelo please. Let's do 4-3-3 again.

Some notable personal achievements:

• Primeira Liga's Best Young Player Of The Year: 2017/18

• Primeira Liga Team Of The Year: 2019/20

• UEFA Nations League Finals Team Of The Tournament

• Cosme Damião Awards Revelation Of The Year: 2017

• UEFA European Under-19 Championship Team Of The Tournament: 2016

Never been so excited based on an interview but he's everything we wanted off the pitch. A legit leader!
Ambitious, confident, determined and hungry for success. He is adored by Benfica and their fans and I can see why. He is a born leader. This could be one of those signings we look back on in 10 years and say we didn't know what we were in for did we? He shows every characteristic to be a great. I think Vinny would approve.

A club does not get like that over anyone. That is a club knowing their superstar is leaving to take on the world. Hope he lives upto the hype but not been this excited since KDB. Time to reach your potential Ruben lad!

Only thing remaining is for bernado to return and play a centre mid like role and then we are fully back imo...Our true strength always lies in midfield, which now function properly without fearing about back four.

A club does not get like that over anyone. That is a club knowing their superstar is leaving to take on the world. Hope he lives upto the hype but not been this excited since KDB. Time to reach your potential Ruben lad!

Nice video. Amazing the respect him seemed to have at only 23 wow.

Hopefully we've got a good 1 here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.