United and Liverpool EFL project - proposal rejected

I've just had a couple of beers with three lads i know.
All 3 are well to do and have season tickets right on the half way line best seats you can get.
Don't u know.
One is a stoke fan.
One is a derby fan.
And the other forest.
When we talked about this new proposal..I said if I goes through.
I'm done with football not just not going but never take any notice in football ever again.
All 3 said at the same time.
I agree mate.
We all then spoke about how long we've been going etc different back grounds etc.
But all agree football is very close to been finished

I stand ready to be corrected on this by our American contributors, but it does seem that the owners over there have an entirely different outlook. Clubs are referred to as ‘franchises’, and rather than being the property of the community, spiritually speaking, they are the private property of whoever happens to own them, and can be shifted around lock, stock and barrel. Thus, for example, the Los Angeles Lakers are so called because they were originally founded in Detroit, and when the club started to go under, were purchased by Minnesota owners and moved there. And from thence to L.A. God knows where this left the supporters. It's rather a long way from Minnesota to Los Angeles, I believe. So it seems to me that the logic of the Big Picture is no more than the logic of American sports capitalism, and indeed capitalism tout court. Nobody should be surprised by it. There are entirely different traditions over here, and indeed in Europe generally. Outside of MK Dons, I can't think of any significant club in any of Europe's major leagues that has just upped sticks and moved to an entirely different part of the country. Football clubs are supposed to be money making enterprises, but they were never just that. And never will be. It could be argued that they pretty much replaced organised religion in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
You play Sundays for a paycheck. You play Saturdays for your school. Growing up all my heroes were college athletes. It's like that when you don't grow up in a huge city. And now... I dont care what team LeBron has welded himself too. The NCAA is the most ineffective capitalistic endeavor ever perpetrated by anybody. Prior to COVID, almost all the Athletic Departments were running overbudget. It isn't effective at any level. At least now they will have to cut sports they should have had no business being in.

But it gives fans from small market to small market an existence. You can have pride in your university team. The Gonzagas, Boise States, Butlers, Creightons, & Villanovas have more soul to them than any big time pro sports franchise like The Lakers or The Yankees. March Madness and Bowl Season are still the US's "go to" for sports competition. Everything else is becoming more like the WWE.

Pro sports here is a business. The US probably shed itself of any grand notions that they weren't during the early 80's. After the Baltimore Colts stole away in the middle of the night. And while amateur athletics is what you can get away with ($$$) under the table... it works because the culture endures. Coaching institutions like Mike Krzyzewski and Nick Saban exist outside the pro game.

Last edited:
I've just had a couple of beers with three lads i know.
All 3 are well to do and have season tickets right on the half way line best seats you can get.
Don't u know.
One is a stoke fan.
One is a derby fan.
And the other forest.
When we talked about this new proposal..I said if I goes through.
I'm done with football not just not going but never take any notice in football ever again.
All 3 said at the same time.
I agree mate.
We all then spoke about how long we've been going etc different back grounds etc.
But all agree football is very close to been finished
I feel the same way as does my Evertonian mate who I've known for 35 years. I will always love City but we will be done with going.

The deal won't happen in its present form. It's an opening gambit. I feel the same as 99 per cent of supporting fans and they know that. It's like offering 209k for a 309k house.

Having spoken to 5 EFL bosses he reckons 9 out of 10 love the idea of USA billionaires taking over English football? Can this **** not even do basic math(s)?

And is the term 'journo' shorthand for propaganda tool?
Forgets to mention at first that some were EFL board members, Scally from Gillingham who was courting US investment and has european super league ambitions and tried to get the 1999 play off final replayed, and sustainability expert Peter Ridsdale - Leeds near ruined under his tenure, then Barnsley narrowly avoid liquidation before he was bought out, Cardiff £66m in debt, and then Plymouth taken into administration.

What have our owners done to be labelled greedy?

from what I’ve read this proposal would involve us and we would vote for it- that is just speculation though.

I could argue other points such as continuous season ticket price rises every year or the extortionate match day tickets....

Some of our fans just can’t criticise our club at all.we’ve got one of the leading figures suggesting b teams, which i personally think is ridiclous

Can you clarify for me when the Premier League has not been about the money?

ofcourse it’s always been about money.....

this thread is about this proposal though and this proposal is about greed and making even more money for clubs.

This proposal basically means the top 6 six will remain as the top six. We would get more money and power over every other club, which is wrong in my opinion. Big money pre/ mid season tournaments and no more city stories or teams from lower down suprising everyone.

they are trying to turn it into American franchise football

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.