Who's your Greatest Bass player ever

Hard to pick from Paul McCartney, Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham, Jaco Pastorius or Bootsie Collins.

If I was pushed it would be McCartney.
McCartney freaks me out.
I mean to write freakishly good bass lines like on tracks like Bulldog, Something and basically the whole Pepper album, then to write an acoustic guitar masterpiece like Blackbird, then to write and play an achingly great love song like Maybe I'm Amazed or Let It Be, and sing them very, very well is some talent.

McCartney freaks me out.
I mean to write freakishly good bass lines like on tracks like Bulldog, Something and basically the whole Pepper album, then to write an acoustic guitar masterpiece like Blackbird, then to write and play an achingly great love song like Maybe I'm Amazed or Let It Be, and sing them very, very well is some talent.
He often used to overdub them on his own at the end of the session - not that that diminishes the achievement. Great melodic lines that still serve the song.

Jaco Pastorius
Richard Davis
Bernard Edwards
James Jamerson
Paul Chambers
Larry Graham

There are others, of course, like Leland Sklar who has played on more recordings than anyone else but each of these players took their field of music to the next level.
Man, that is some list.

Jaco has been voted the greatest by bass players many times, I love to listen to Flea talking about him. :)

McCartney freaks me out.
Totally agree @nimrod.

The reason I went for him is that he knows when to put the bass first (Come together, Something and like you said Pepper) when to play the simple stuff (tomorrow never knows for example). Take his bass out of Lucy in the sky or A Day in the life and the songs dead. I could go on :)

He's a phenomenal musician... Bass, piano, guitar and singer. And to think you can easily list him as a great bass player when many people would gloss over it

Out of all the bassists I listed he's surely the most complete musician :)

Totally agree @nimrod.

The reason I went for him is that he knows when to put the bass first (Come together, Something and like you said Pepper) when to play the simple stuff (tomorrow never knows for example). Take his bass out of Lucy in the sky or A Day in the life and the songs dead. I could go on :)

He's a phenomenal musician... Bass, piano, guitar and singer. And to think you can easily list him as a great bass player when many people would gloss over it

Out of all the bassists I listed he's surely the most complete musician :)
Let's not forget drums as well, he played drums on quite a few Beatles tracks when Ringo wasn't there.
But on this he plays everything, and wrote it of course and sings it beautifully.
Not many bass players could do this.

Being a Soul and Motown fan I would have to say James Jameson.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.