Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

How bad was it after the Coventry game in the cup when goater scored in the last minute and they invaded the main stand?
I remember inside they ran into the main stand and City fans were running over from the Kippax to help out.
Walked past their end after the game and there was just a big semi circle of city fans surrounding it waiting for them to come out. Always wondered what happened when they came out
They made a big mistake but in these situations nobody is right

Just fine. Now a Grandad to 4 boys who have Dad's who are United armchair supporters. My main ambition is too make at least 3 of them regular going City fans.
So are you ok pal. Are you ready to retire yet?
Good to hear mate, I know you’ve been spreading your seed probably too much over the years. Grand kids are fine, slap the fucking dads.

How bad was it after the Coventry game in the cup when goater scored in the last minute and they invaded the main stand?
I remember inside they ran into the main stand and City fans were running over from the Kippax to help out.
Walked past their end after the game and there was just a big semi circle of city fans surrounding it waiting for them to come out. Always wondered what happened when they came out
We greeted them sweetly with a bunch of Morrissey's gladioli while singing - "Panic on streets of Maine road, Rusholme Hulme and Moss side"...Well almost : )

It was just part and parcel of going to a game in those days. Also what a lot don't mention is there wasn't really any segregation back then. Everyone knew teams staunch home ends and if you went in there you were in trouble. Away fans usually gathered behind the opposite goal ( Most staunch ends were behind goals, except the kippax.) When a fair few of our lads started going into the newly covered north stand as well as the kippax it took a fair few away fans by surprise as they thought it was safe, quite a few got a kicking for making that mistake.

Maine Road was a nightmare for away fans with all the side streets and alleys. Also for quite a while they used to.park the away coaches and cars on Hough end fields, so they had quite a walk to either the train station or coach. In those days there was as much talk about the other firm as there was the match. How many they would bring, where they were meeting up, if they'd been spotted yet.

One thing that baffles me is in a lot of the hooligan books they say they only met and fought other firms that wanted to fight. This wasn't my experience, any away fan spotted was game to be attacked, the same applied to ourselves when we went away.

I had lots of skirmishes, some more serious than others. For me it was just for the buzz and sticking up for our club and City, not seriously hurting people. More not allowing fans from other towns to come and take liberties. I have to admit my hackles still rise if I'm on the metro and away fans are gobbing off and being disrespectful, the urge to give them a smack is still there lol.

millwall the amount of people go on about them like they are the dogs bollox!!! they got bullied at maine road for years and had to bring other firms and still got bullied..

Yes they didn't travel up north well. The Chelsea headhunters were the toughest London firm in my opinion in the late seventies/early eighties. They took it everywhere. They even turned up at Maine Road when their away fans had been banned. I remember hanging around near the ticket office wondering if they would show when in the distance you could hear this chant getting closer. " The Chelsea United will never be defeated." A couple of minutes later around the corner they came, marching in formation like an infantry unit, all dressed in reefer jackets, jeans and docs, about 50-80 of them. The police were as surprised as we were but soon hemmed them in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.