Yesterday’s formation

what seems to be the problem, last time we played arsenal abamyang(sp) ran riot, caused us all sorts of problems,playing walker on the right cb completely nullified him, cancelo was brilliant right back then inverted to stop the counter attack, infact we were pretty good considering i think we are at about 60 % at the moment, well done pep, out thought someone who thought he knew what pep was going to do.
ake is a solid lb defending and i would like him to play there more often.

Please for the love of god bring back the 4-3-3.

Ederson
Walker Laporte Dias Cancelo
Rodri/Fernandinho
Bernardo/Foden - KDB
Sterling Aguero Mahrez/Torres

That's it. that's the team. Please stop experimenting and doing weird stuff like playing cancelo at CM.
Completely agree.

It worked yesterday and I'm sure it will again but I think changing our formation and style of play breaks the rhythm of the team.

I'm a big fan of picking your best team and formation and sticking with it. Yesterday's result will encourage Pep to tinker about even more!!

Completely agree.

It worked yesterday and I'm sure it will again but I think changing our formation and style of play breaks the rhythm of the team.

I'm a big fan of picking your best team and formation and sticking with it. Yesterday's result will encourage Pep to tinker about even more!!
That’s why he likes and buys intelligent players.

3 3 3 1 - the formation played by Vila by Jozef Vengloš 30 years ago in the fateful game, but you could call it a number of things as is was pretty adroit.

More to do with the payers available and the defensive issues I thought.

Two different formations in and out of possession. Obviously designed to combat our weakness as he knew Arteta would again try to exploit it. Looked like a 4-4-1-1 out of possession but in possession it mainly went to a back 3 with Dias walker and Rodri dropping back, Cancelo and Ake as inverted wing backs almost, Bernardo left centrally alone with sterling dropping in and roaming, Foden and mahrez either flank and Aguero upfront.

Said in the Pep thread last night, I’d like to see a variation on what we saw yesterday with Laporte replacing Rodri and having a back 5 without a holding midfielder, with one of the cb’s Stepping up into the holding role when we’ve got the ball.

There was a lot of tactical information in that system, I’m impressed the players who were away on international duty picked it up so well, they must have had 2 sessions with it at most, particularly walker Cancelo and Ake who all seemed to have more to take in as their positions were the most altered.

I'm a big fan of picking your best team
When were we last able to do that though ?

What ever the formation was (I'd say nominally it was a 3-4-3) it worked and rather nullified arsenal.

As people have said it wasn't pretty to watch at times but it was effective defensively, and it makes a change to talk positively about our defensive players.

We played 4-4-2 in defence;

GK - Ederson
RB - Cancelo
LB - Ake
CB - Walker
CB - Dias
RW - Mahrez
LW - Foden
CM - Rodrigo
CM - Bernardo
ST - Aguero
ST - Sterling

In possession we played 1-3-2-1-3 (it sounds crazy because it is);

___________________________Ederson_________________________

____________________________Dias___________________________

__________Walker___________Rodrigo_____________Ake_________

__________________Cancelo___________Bernardo_______________

Mahrez____________________Sterling_____________________Foden

__________________________Aguero___________________________

Yeah I can explain to you where they played but not why they were played there!
Rough line up is correct.

I saw Walker- Cancelo rotation, Cancelo/ Mahrez rotation. I saw Sterling-Mahrez rotation with Cancelo filling and Sterling-Aguero rotation. Ake, Bernardo and Foden rotated too. Besides Ederson, of course, only Dias, Rodri remained as a true 'spine.

Now I can't see Guardiola using it all the time as it would need De Bruyne being back to his best form for this to work and Cancelo would drop out for Bernardo to replace. If KDB is fit, I can see him rotating across the attack line behind Aguero to find the weakness.

I loved it apart from Cancelo not being used to being shackled, although he grew into the position, later on.

it does need working on and confidence building from it.

That was like football from 2059, off its fucking head!

I saw it roughly like this:

....................Ederson
...Walker...Lluben................Ake
Cancelo....Rodri...Bernado
Mahrez...Sterling...Kun.....Foden

When out of possession, Rodri dropped in to centre back.

In the build up, Bernado dropped in to being a fucking Point Guard, and he was brilliant at it!

Cancelo I don’t even fucking know what he was. His job seemed to be to man mark Aubameyang and then play in a free role when we had the ball! Mad!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.