New European Super League Breakaway Threat

They key thing about that der Spiegel leak is that none of the clubs decided they wanted to do it. There was no appetite in Germany or Spain so it got sidelined before the leak.

No reason to think they've changed their minds just because the big 6 lost a vote to the rest of the PL.
It depends. For all we know, discussions may have been ongoing all this time and this is further advanced than we think. We know Infantino has had an idea of an expanded world club competition to rival the CL and rumours were that City were in favour of it. Perhaps it’s now morphed into this idea instead

How could they play 38 PL fixtures and 30 plus Euro League ones? Is this part of the FIFA Club World Cup proposals mooted by Infantino some years ago (with financial backing from Sheikh Mansour)?
It must be the death knell for domestic leagues in England, Germany, and Spain. They won't give up without a fight. It is all about pay-per-view TV money which will guarantee that LFC and MUFC get the highest incomes, whatever their league positions.
They'd probably do the American thing and split it into two "conferences", 9 clubs each, 16 games then a play-off round.

City will go where the money is. No point getting overworked about it.

So the rich will get richer..
Even though I don’t agree with it, we have to be part of it if we have any hope of competing for the league year after year.
This along with ffp will make sure “the top 6” finish the top 6.
It might not get off the ground, but who knows, money talks.

I'm afraid it's naive to think City will not be drinking at this top table. Can't think any long standing supporter's will be interested in this tbh and I certainly won't be. There pushing for an American style franchise type game with limited numbers for the elite. Death knell for most European leagues because I would imagine the TV money would dry up.

It knocks fuck out of the domestic league though doesn't it ?

It's like right ok we have Newcastle away on Saturday,but Barca at home on Tuesday,so they'd rest players for the "bigger game" on the Tuesday to basically wave bye bye to the domestic league.

Not a great idea in my book
Possibly but that's why I think it critical that you get into it on merit through the domestic league.

If you have United or Liverpool guaranteed a spot in the Euro League every season, then yes, they will probably play weaker XIs in the Prem. If they had to qualify for the Euro League every season, like they do now with the CL, they couldn't afford to take the Prem lightly for fear of not qualifying.

Plus, lets see how much these teams enjoy finishing mid-table in a Euro League every season and throwing away the Prem at the same time. These clubs are historically used to winning trophies, as are we in our recent history. Fans are not going to tolerate throwing the domestic competition, so the clubs can line their pockets every season, whilst potentially never winning the Euro League because the competition is so strong. Can you imagine United or Liverpool becoming the Euro League equivalent of West Ham (No disrespect to WH)?

'It is not thought that any of the English clubs has yet signed legally binding terms to join, and it was unclear which member of the so-called "big six" would miss out if only five are ultimately involved.'

I wonder which one... is wanted by the proposers to be excluded.

How could they play 38 PL fixtures and 30 plus Euro League ones? Is this part of the FIFA Club World Cup proposals mooted by Infantino some years ago (with financial backing from Sheikh Mansour)?
It must be the death knell for domestic leagues in England, Germany, and Spain. They won't give up without a fight. It is all about pay-per-view TV money which will guarantee that LFC and MUFC get the highest incomes, whatever their league positions.

Impossible to play that many games more I absorb the news,it's a money making scam for the shirt selling clubs,they must be struggling for a few bob now.

Another nail in the football coffin,if it goes ahead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.