COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it goes well somehow.
As I've said above, it won't, we're hamstrung by our own politics, and even you with far better regional and national government are struggling, all of Europe is. I'm glad I'm not a national of Belgium or Netherlands, and Poland looks to be heading the same way too.

Like I said I'm the only one looking after me, and whilst I've been paranoid about keeping it away from me and my wife throughout, we're both working, so we have to be at risk each time we do that, I'm lucky I can do some of my work at home, she has to do hers at work, and is in a vulnerable occupation, which even if we lockdown again, will now be considered essential, as they now have the PPE for protection at work.

I’m not going to lie, I never watch the news, don’t buy a paper, haven’t been on FB or any other social media apart from here for a good few months and have tried to live a normal as possible life with the restrictions and rules in place.
I read this thread avidly and I’m grateful for the facts and opinions offered. Some I agree with some I don’t, but unlike other threads where arguing is second nature I think this one is too important to get on peoples case about. we are all dealing with this in our own way.
So, with that being said. When people talk of isolating for two weeks, does that mean it runs it course in that time and basically if you come out of the other side ok you’re likely asymptomatic? Does it die off after a fortnight? Or is it always going to linger?
My point is, if the world isolated for a month (hypothetically) and only the most basic services were kept going (utilities, food, healthcare, emergency services, etc) would Covid die out or would it still be about waiting to go again?
If that’s the case then sadly no long or short term lockdown is going to work, if it’s here for the long term then we will have to accept it and unless a vaccine is found do the best we can to live as normal a life we can.
History is littered with absolutely catastrophic events that have had a massive impact on our time on Earth. Some through human error, or at least humans being massively flawed, many others beyond our control. This is just another in a long list of shitshows that’s come our way and it’s just bad luck that we are living through it.
Don’t want to offend anybody with this post and don’t want to be insensitive to anybody who’s been affected, I just think right now we are delaying the inevitable.
*drugs may have been involved in this post*

A and AB seem to get it badly and I'm A+!
O are the least badly affected with B in the middle. But it only shifts your chances by a couple of percent or so. Not as big a factor as racial heritage for example.

The % of the UK pooulation with each blood type:
  • O positive: 35%
  • O negative: 13%
  • A positive: 30%
  • A negative: 8%
  • B positive: 8%
  • B negative: 2%
  • AB positive: 2%
  • AB negative: 1%

Last edited:
We still have a little wriggle room when it comes to debt to GDP. We are miles behind America and Japan. Debt is cheap currently and will probably stay cheap for a while so the repayments won’t be out of control. We will just have to put taxes up when the time is right but not at the minute. We can’t just allow hospitals to become over occupied with Covid patients and people to have ops cancelled as they have been doing just so people can go on holiday, to the pub or a restaurant. These are not essential in life. If people can’t follow simple rules then tough decisions need to be made. I think a short lockdown for a 2/3 week period would help.

Maybe they should do it over the Dec/Jan period when traditionally people have put their feet up at work in many industries from the 15th onwards and don’t really get going until the 2nd week in Jan. shut everything for 3 weeks over that period and scrap the Feb half term. Provide a months furlough for all those workers who can’t work. We can’t go on seeing numbers increase like this or else they will be out of control again before we know it. Maybe they already are.
need to keep the numbers down in hospitals for sure. so they can manage. im just not how we will keep the virus in check. it seems to be much more contagious imo. sweden havent changed much but its suddenly taken off again over there. why would that be.

need to keep the numbers down in hospitals for sure. so they can manage. im just not how we will keep the virus in check. it seems to be much more contagious imo. sweden havent changed much but its suddenly taken off again over there. why would that be.

its clearly very contagious and the autumn months have moved more people indoors and windows are being shut. It’s a mess

It doesn't seem to be slowing much with the current restrictions so I doubt it, it won't be happening anyway, Starmer wants it, so Boris won't do it, and therein lies the problem, there will never be consensus, politics in this country ! Another reason the Germans are better placed, their politics is generally centrist, and like the US we're f**ked by 2 extremes.
coalition government?

We still have a little wriggle room when it comes to debt to GDP. We are miles behind America and Japan. Debt is cheap currently and will probably stay cheap for a while so the repayments won’t be out of control. We will just have to put taxes up when the time is right but not at the minute. We can’t just allow hospitals to become over occupied with Covid patients and people to have ops cancelled as they have been doing just so people can go on holiday, to the pub or a restaurant. These are not essential in life. If people can’t follow simple rules then tough decisions need to be made. I think a short lockdown for a 2/3 week period would help.

Maybe they should do it over the Dec/Jan period when traditionally people have put their feet up at work in many industries from the 15th onwards and don’t really get going until the 2nd week in Jan. shut everything for 3 weeks over that period and scrap the Feb half term. Provide a months furlough for all those workers who can’t work. We can’t go on seeing numbers increase like this or else they will be out of control again before we know it. Maybe they already are.

The problem with that is a lockdown over Dec/Jan just focuses minds on how they can't spend Xmas and New Year with friends and families. We all know that will be the case anyway as we will just about all be in T3 but they don't want to give the bad news out 8 weeks away thats how they operate.

The second issue is letting people out of lockdown straight into the end of January and Brexit. Even the Govt is now putting ads out about the new red tape, new costs and changes and they have previously issued a report on the negative economic impacts. A lot of firms will need people in work between now and the end of Jan to sort out new working arrangements because deal or no deal there are changes to ways of working already baked in.

coalition government?

Not a chance - why would any other party associate themselves with this mess? The only way its remotely possible is almost publicly conduct negotiations and have every decision made public in full when its made so post pandemic if anyone wants to play a blame game the other party can repudiate with evidence. Does any politician really operate in the open like that?

A and AB seem to get it badly and I'm A+!
O are the least badly affected with B in the middle. But it only shifts your chances by a couple of percent or so. Not as big a factor as racial heritage for example.

UK blood types:
  • O positive: 35%
  • O negative: 13%
  • A positive: 30%
  • A negative: 8%
  • B positive: 8%
  • B negative: 2%
  • AB positive: 2%
  • AB negative: 1%
Are those the %ages of people's blood group, or something else like deaths from Covid ? It's not obvious to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.