Liverpool (H) - Post-Match Thread

Been thinking about Kev's penalty, and comparing it in my mind with Vardy's. Kev's was the penalty of a tired man. Not necessarily tired physically, but mentally jaded. He completely overthought it. He was going for the perfect penalty, into the side netting. You're twelve yards from the goal line. The goal is huge. You don't need to hit the perfect penalty. You truly don't.
I used to play quite a lot of squash. When I was up against someone who was approximately my level, and really pushing me on rallies, I would start to try to play the impossible shot. I didn't have to, but I felt I'd been backed into that corner. More often than not, I lost the point.I was trying to do something I couldn't do, and didn't need to do. It hardly needs pointing out that there's no meaningful comparison between my level in that sport and his in his, except, I believe on that one point, as it happened on Saturday.
Vardy stepped up, not a care in the world, and hit it hard. If you hit it hard, and more or less into the top right or left hand corner, it will go in far more often than not. Even if the keeper guesses right, and goes the right way, he may get a hand on it, but sheer power will push him aside. Vardy was focussed, and relaxed. The two together is what you want. Kev is a very reliable penalty taker, and I'd probably choose him over anyone else in the team, at this point. And that includes Sergio. But he looks jaded to me, and I really think he's played too much football for a number of months, now. I hope to god he doesn't play too much during the international “break”, and comes back refreshed, but I don't hold out too many hopes. He is a lovely player to watch, deeply satisfying when he's sharp and on his game. There is no player in our squad, or indeed in world football, who has a better 360° awareness of what's going on on the pitch. But he's also very good at trusting his instincts.

Goal = 192sq ft
Keeper = about 18sq ft

It’s not rocket science, but NONE OF THAT MATTERS IF YOU DONT HIT THE 192sq ft!!!

Allison is a big unit. He is perhaps the most imposing keeper in the league. KDB tried to PLACE the perfect pen, but overdid it because (IMHO) he wanted it as far away from Allison as possible if he went the correct way. He didn’t!

The best pens are those that hit the 4 x 6 in the top corners. Best players in the world who can’t hit those 48sq ft (either side) shouldn’t be taking them!

I wouldn’t change the penalty taker, but I would have players practice them more.

Not just 2 points dropped, but 1 point added to Liverpool’s total, which makes it a 3 pointer.

Second time we have GIFTED Liverpool a 3 pointer from 12 yards out! That’s OLD “Typical City” stuff! Let’s not, eh?!

Goal = 192sq ft
Keeper = about 18sq ft

It’s not rocket science, but NONE OF THAT MATTERS IF YOU DONT HIT THE 192sq ft!!!

Allison is a big unit. He is perhaps the most imposing keeper in the league. KDB tried to PLACE the perfect pen, but overdid it because (IMHO) he wanted it as far away from Allison as possible if he went the correct way. He didn’t!

The best pens are those that hit the 4 x 6 in the top corners. Best players in the world who can’t hit those 48sq ft (either side) shouldn’t be taking them!

I wouldn’t change the penalty taker, but I would have players practice them more.

Not just 2 points dropped, but 1 point added to Liverpool’s total, which makes it a 3 pointer.

Second time we have GIFTED Liverpool a 3 pointer from 12 yards out! That’s OLD “Typical City” stuff! Let’s not, eh?!
I'm quite ok with 2018/19 history repeating itself ...

Regarding our penalty, I thought the lengthy discussions amongst the panel were OTT - is it just me or have we seen those given in the past way before these new handball rules came in? Sure, they weren't always given but some were and for me it's more of a pen than some of the others that have been debated of late. I'm not saying Gomez deliberately handballed it but he was sufficiently far away from De Bruyne when the ball came in to take some kind of evasive action to avoid it hitting his elbow, no matter how much he tries to tell us all how much Kev put his foot through the ball. He only tried to take evasive action afterwards with that guilty looking attempt to pull his arm away. Liverpool got a penalty in the CL final against Spurs in 2019 for something similar and it was nowhere near as shit a decision to award ours on Sunday as it was for that useless fat **** Dowd to award one to Liverpool in the League Cup semi at Anfield in 2012 against Micah when the ball deflected onto his arm from point blank range.
All completely true. As for Micah's, that still annoys the fuck out of me.

Regarding our penalty, I thought the lengthy discussions amongst the panel were OTT - is it just me or have we seen those given in the past way before these new handball rules came in? Sure, they weren't always given but some were and for me it's more of a pen than some of the others that have been debated of late. I'm not saying Gomez deliberately handballed it but he was sufficiently far away from De Bruyne when the ball came in to take some kind of evasive action to avoid it hitting his elbow, no matter how much he tries to tell us all how much Kev put his foot through the ball. He only tried to take evasive action afterwards with that guilty looking attempt to pull his arm away. Liverpool got a penalty in the CL final against Spurs in 2019 for something similar and it was nowhere near as shit a decision to award ours on Sunday as it was for that useless fat **** Dowd to award one to Liverpool in the League Cup semi at Anfield in 2012 against Micah when the ball deflected onto his arm from point blank range.
Think it was the same game or season that the Liverpool keeper came sliding out of the area for a couple of yards with the ball trapped between his right arm and body. No handball decision from the ref or outrage from the studio panel.

I did something have never done before in my life. When Kev was about to take the penalty I got up and went to get another brew. I knew he would miss.

That’s really odd because I contemplated doing the very same thing! I have never thought of doing that before.

When the ref went to the tv I knew he had to give it but thought we weren’t going to score.

I actually sat up to go out but thought I’d stay. LOL

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.