Bands you wished you'd seen and bands you did see

Bingley Hall, what an awful place that was, promoters packed them in there, I remember the '81 Rush gig, probably 8-9,000 in a hall that should have had 5,000 in. I'm lucky to have a relative who lives in British Columbia, so I caught the Power Windows Tour in '86 in Vancouver, in '94 I saw the Test for Echo tour at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Vancouver, again for Vapor Trails in 2002, and finally both nights in Toronto for the R40 tour in 2015, best decision I ever made gig wise to go over for those.

Yep several times, mainly at gigs that were special in some way, first or last show on a tour, one off's etc.
He wasn't the most approachable of guys, seemed really pissed off that other photographers were working in the same spot as him, or we might pinch work off him.
Maple Leaf Gardens is a supermarket now mate.
Saw some great gigs there. A few decent hockey games as well.

Maple Leaf Gardens is a supermarket now mate.
Saw some great gigs there. A few decent hockey games as well.
So I saw when I visited Toronto in 2001, or was it gone in 1999?
Doesn't it have apartments above the supermarket as well?
I saw the The Cranberries and Collective Soul at Molson Amphitheatre in 1999, can't remember if MLG was gone by then.

The Cow Shed had a lot of faults but it could generate a helluva an atmosphere - the Queen gig that inspired We Are The Champions being a prime example. Saw some great gigs there.

I suspect Ross has changed a bit. I've not seen or heard from him for years but knew him because he photographed my best friends' band for a Sounds feature way back and we met him numerous times over the next few years; including him getting us backstage passes for Day in the Green in Oakland and UFO / Iron Maiden at Long Beach Arena when we were on holiday in U.S.

Probably mid 90's when I last saw Ross, when did he shoot your mates band?

Saw quite a few at the cow shed, Rainbow, Rush, Bruce Springsteen, Kiss, Bon Jovi, ZZ Top among others, once the NEC became more established the gigs dropped off there.

I saw the The Cranberries and Collective Soul at Molson Amphitheatre in 1999, can't remember if MLG was gone by then.
It was finished for hockey in 99 and the last band was Oasis in April 2000.

Wish I'd seen - NWA (original lineup). And I absolutely had the chance to see them live but did not take it! They did not play a lot of live shows before the big implosion in '90.

Did see - Nirvana before they blew up. Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam (both completely unknown at the time) as the two opening acts for Red Hot Chili Peppers. I remember not being extremely impressed with either at the time. Shows you what I know!

Also saw Oasis on their first US tour in a very small venue. Was impressed by them as I recall.

The band I wish I had seen the most is Weather Report.
Although I would have liked to have been on that rooftop when The Beatles did their final live gig.

Wish: Live Aid at Wembley (For Queen & Bowie, mainly), Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks.

Did: Blondie (x2), Jam, Vapors, Human League, Alarm, Pretenders, Rod Stewart (x2), U2 (x5), Talking Heads, B-52s, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, Go-Gos (x2), Garbage (x2), PJ Harvey

*Had tickets to see Roxy Music at The Apollo, but they cancelled.

Amazing thing I saw in Toronto. Maybe it's common in North America, I don't know. When I stayed at the Toronto Marriot City Centre (then called the Renaissance, I'm pretty sure), I wandered down to have a drink in the bar. One whole side of it was glassed, and you looked directly down onto the Blue Jays stadium. I mean by that you were actually ‘in’ the stadium. Unfortunately, there was no baseball going on. I was fairly blown away. Sorry, nothing to do with gigs and bands. Back on topic.

Wish: Live Aid at Wembley (For Queen & Bowie, mainly), Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks.

Did: Blondie (x2), Jam, Vapors, Human League, Alarm, Pretenders, Rod Stewart (x2), U2 (x5), Talking Heads, B-52s, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, Go-Gos (x2), Garbage (x2), PJ Harvey

*Had tickets to see Roxy Music at The Apollo, but they cancelled.
F#ck me!

You paid to listen to Bono tell you how to solve 3rd world poverty 5 times.

Great commitment to the cause I must say............ ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.