COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the issues with social media is that the sheer numbers of posts pushing this sort of bollocks gets to us. Even if rationally we know its nonsense, constantly seeing it makes our brains legitimise it. And of course many of the tossers putting this out are outright obsessives, so their output us very, very large.
My own mum, who had each of her 3 children fully vaccinated and has had a 30+ year career in healthcare has now become a sceptic. Why? Because since my dad died, she's been with a guy who is deep in the conspiracies.

I'm not sure why the scepticism is largely aimed at vaccines? Where do people draw the line? Paracetamol? Methotrexate? What about when some of the novel oligonucleotides begin to gain approval? Have these people seen the size of these antibody-drug conjugates? Imagine all the extra clandestine and nefarious things you can do with something orders of magnitude larger than small molecules!

@BlueAnorak @roubaixtuesday @03 March 2002 @bluejon Any thoughts on this? Haven't a clue either way tbf, just looking to see if this sort of concern is genuine or easily put to bed.

This guy's complaint doesn't really make sense.

In all of your cells, there are things called ribosomes. Their job is to make proteins and they work by getting a set of instructions called mRNA (the m stands for messenger). Usually this mRNA comes from the Nucleus and would be instructions to make all sorts of proteins that a cell needs for day to day life and repairs.

With the mRNA vaccine, the mRNA works its way into your cells, and then the ribosome makes an antigen (what he calls a spike protein) and then that's it, the protein gets transported out of the cell and it never stopped being a normal muscle cell.

Edit - Also he talks about RNA code as if it's something foreign to the body...our bodies are full of RNA, it's used for everything.

Honestly it's just some random bloke who doesn't know what he's talking about chucking stuff out there.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'm pro vaccine because I trust what the scientific community and doctors tell me, but yeah, it's probably a blind trust because I have no idea about the subject myself personally. Not a bad blind trust to have, but still find it worth asking questions regarding people who have different views, even if it's to settle me down and confirm that they're looney tunes.
You might not have an in depth knowledge but is your trust really blind?
You have the knowledge that billions of vaccines have been administered safely in the past with huge success. The vast majority of people alive today have been vaccinated many of them on multiple occasions.
You also trust the people who make your cars the people who mend your cars the people who produce your food the people who sell you food.
Your trust is born of experience. By all means think about things but think for yourself rather than have ideas put in your head by social media about why vaccines cannot be trusted. The fact is that they are some of the safest forms of medicine devised. No medicine of any sort is 100% safe but in order to get regulatory approval they do have to demonstrate safety.

GM scoreboard:

Manchester 259 - up from 230. Total cases 29, 039. Weekly 5081 (as noted this will be a lot lower next week once that huge add on from students s nit in the count). Pop score up 47 to 5253. Weekly Pop down 10 to 919.

Wigan 198 - up from 163. Total cases 15, 141. Weekly 1395. Pop score up 63 to 4610. Weekly Pop down 3 to 428.

Oldham 162 - up from 141. Total cases 13, 598. Weekly 1325. Pop score up 68 to 5735 and sadly closing in on Blackburn which had a good day (just 48 cases). Under 100 behind now for worst Pop Score in the UK. Weekly Pop down down 35 to 559 (cases still well down on last week is why).

Bolton 158 - up from 134. Total cases 13, 843. Weekly 1131. Pop score up 55 to 4814. Weekly Pop down 18 to 393 - first time in the 300s for Bolton in months.

Rochdale 156 - up from 102. Total cases 11, 451. Weekly 1136. Pop score up 71 - highest in GM today - to 5149. Weekly Pop up 3 to 521,

Salford 143 - up from 121. Total cases 12, 522. Weekly 1596. Pop score up 55 to 4838. Weekly Pop down 6 to 617.

Bury 130 - up from 77. Total cases 8903. Weekly 777. Pop score up 69 to 4662. Weekly Pop down 1 to 407.

Tameside 127 - up from 64. Total cases 9682. Weekly 964. Pop score up 56 to 4275. Weekly Pop up 4 to 430.

Stockport 97 - down from 104. Total cases 9657. Weekly 768. Pop score up 33 to 3291. Weekly Pop down 18 to 262.

Trafford 78 - up from 75. Total cases 8167. Weekly 480. Easily lowest in GM but 4 boroughs well under 1000 now and others closing in is great news. Pop score up 33 (joint best in GM today with Stockport) to 3441. Gap to Stockport for overall Pop score stays at 150. Weekly Pop down 13 to 202. Lowest score in GM since Stockport and Trafford left the 100s 5 weeks ago 24 hours apart. Trafford now lead Stockport by 60 showing how well it has been doing this autumn as nearly every day the best in GM on most measures.

This guy's complaint doesn't really make sense.

In all of your cells, there are things called ribosomes. Their job is to make proteins and they work by getting a set of instructions called mRNA (the m stands for messenger). Usually this mRNA comes from the Nucleus and would be instructions to make all sorts of proteins that a cell needs for day to day life and repairs.

With the mRNA vaccine, the mRNA works its way into your cells, and then the ribosome makes an antigen (what he calls a spike protein) and then that's it, the protein gets transported out of the cell and it never stopped being a normal muscle cell.

Edit - Also he talks about RNA code as if it's something foreign to the body...our bodies are full of RNA, it's used for everything.

Honestly it's just some random bloke who doesn't know what he's talking about chucking stuff out there.
Does he work for the BBC.if not they should employ him he fit right In..

My own mum, who had each of her 3 children fully vaccinated and has had a 30+ year career in healthcare has now become a sceptic. Why? Because since my dad died, she's been with a guy who is deep in the conspiracies.

I'm not sure why the scepticism is largely aimed at vaccines? Where do people draw the line? Paracetamol? Methotrexate? What about when some of the novel oligonucleotides begin to gain approval? Have these people seen the size of these antibody-drug conjugates? Imagine all the extra clandestine and nefarious things you can do with something orders of magnitude larger than small molecules!

Weird isn't it. I get really wound up by the conflation of "natural", "traditional", and "herbal" with "safe".

Smallpox was natural.

An ex girfriend suffered severe eczema, turned to a traditional herbal Chinese cure and promptly turned bright yellow with jaundice due to liver toxicity. Would never have been allowed with actual medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.