Fencing dispute

Went to see them today after they came round again.
They have had an offer on their house and got a 2nd viewing next week and scared of buyer pulling out. He said if they lose the sale he will sue me.
I offered a comprise and said I will take it down for now an just leave the wooden posts up so no can reattach after next week's viewing. They still weren't happy with that.
I have attached the fencing to the existing fence posts that they say belong to them and demanded I remove it all together - I didn't go into the fact that both neighbours own the boundary fence and posts regardless of who paid for them. Presume they did before I bought it.

I'm just going to carry on with it and ignore them. I tried to compromise and they wouldn't have it and just wanted to be able to give me orders.

He also wrongly told me that the maximum allowable height is 6ft i told him that the government rules are 2m or 6.6. He didn't care what the government said because he was right.

Other 2 neighbours I border with said they don't care and told me to do whatever I want.
Fuckinell mate. He sounds a twat.
So is his wife fit then?

They have had an offer on their house and got a 2nd viewing next week and scared of buyer pulling out. He said if they lose the sale he will sue me.
I offered a comprise and said I will take it down for now an just leave the wooden posts up so no can reattach after next week's viewing. They still weren't happy with that.
I have attached the fencing to the existing fence posts that they say belong to them and demanded I remove it all together - I didn't go into the fact that both neighbours own the boundary fence and posts regardless of who paid for them. Presume they did before I bought it.

I'm just going to carry on with it and ignore them. I tried to compromise and they wouldn't have it and just wanted to be able to give me orders.

He also wrongly told me that the maximum allowable height is 6ft i told him that the government rules are 2m or 6.6. He didn't care what the government said because he was right.

Other 2 neighbours I border with said they don't care and told me to do whatever I want.
Once he threatened to sue you, the gloves would be off ! Don’t back down pal ..

This is just turning into a saga now. The time has come to post pics of his wife and some pics of your wife on recent beach holidays or sunbathing in the back garden. It's the only way we can really tell what's fair.

I have a neighbour like this who when they moved in asked if they could take down the fence which at the time was a combination of a flimsy wire one and tall thick conifers. We had two young kids and had far better things to worry about so we said yes. They replaced it all with a cheap wooden fence five foot high and we eventually planted new conifers as we wanted some privacy. Roll on 15 years and over the summer he replaced three 3/4 of the panels without asking with even cheaper panels although six foot high. We are building a raised patio so asked if we could replace the three remaining panels to give us and them privacy. He told us it was his fence and we couldn't touch it despite it being a shared boundary. He is claiming that when he put the new fence up they moved it a few inches onto their land so without their permission we can't do a thing. So what we will do is build a fence with a 12 inch gap that gives us privacy plus we can build it as high as we want as it isn't technically a border fence.

It doesn't belong to them mate. It's on your side, it's yours. Just sounds like another dickhead that doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have a neighbour like this who when they moved in asked if they could take down the fence which at the time was a combination of a flimsy wire one and tall thick conifers. We had two young kids and had far better things to worry about so we said yes. They replaced it all with a cheap wooden fence five foot high and we eventually planted new conifers as we wanted some privacy. Roll on 15 years and over the summer he replaced three 3/4 of the panels without asking with even cheaper panels although six foot high. We are building a raised patio so asked if we could replace the three remaining panels to give us and them privacy. He told us it was his fence and we couldn't touch it despite it being a shared boundary. He is claiming that when he put the new fence up they moved it a few inches onto their land so without their permission we can't do a thing. So what we will do is build a fence with a 12 inch gap that gives us privacy plus we can build it as high as we want as it isn't technically a border fence.
Just put some decorative panels on your side of the fence.

I'm not arsed as to whether a bloke has a bevy or not but I was miffed to receive a an arrogant and badly misplaced broadside from someone who had not bothered to read what I'd written.

And I don't accept your mealy mouthed politicians semi-apology because you didn't let yourself down a bit, you had a nasty little pop at someone you didn't know and for no logical reason.

An appropriate apology would have been "Sorry mate, I got confused and made an arse of myself".

Anyhow, I've had my pop back, and I don't come on here to metaphorically arm-wrestle with those looking to argue, so I'm dropping this topic.

Meanwhile, I'll sit and look happily at a situation that proves that "the same rules don't apply everywhere".
My garage, is 300mm from the boundary fence, circa 2.5M high at the gutter and the gutters project out along the edge of the overhanging roof such that it sits above and less than 100mm inside the boundary.
Everywhere I go I see similar and, while various LA's have various twists in their rules, I see it so often that it must be almost universal.
What an angry little person you are.

Your neighbour is clearly a right prick and sounds like you are getting in to a whole host of shit, you might want to check this site out, its got lots of good info - http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk/boundary-problems/fences.html#Is it true that every house owns the fence on its left side, as you look at it from the street?
I would check your conveyancing / transfer deed if you have it as the existing fence posts you have put the new panels in could easily be classed as his fence. Or it could be classed as yours and you can do whatever the fuck you want! hopefully the latter.

Just put some decorative panels on your side of the fence.
He has said we can't touch them as it's his fence on his land. He also snaps off with his hands any branches of our trees that grow on his side of the fence, that's the type of bloke he is. Nobody on our street has a good word to say about him and his family.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.