Fifa: Gareth Bale and Zlatan Ibrahimovic query EA Sports game image rights

Mr Kobayashi

Note to mods, I put in here because of the footballers involvement but if it is more suited to off-topic, please move.

Leading footballers such as Gareth Bale and Zlatan Ibrahimovic are consulting their lawyers about the use of their names and images in video games.

AC Milan striker Ibrahimovic claimed on social media that EA Sports' Fifa games were "making profit on my name and face without any agreement all these years".
Bale, on loan at Tottenham, joined in, using the hashtag "#TimeToInvestigate".

A source close to the Wales forward claimed players and agents around the world are also seeking legal advice.

That source pointed to an example in Brazil from June, where players won a settlement of 6.5m Brazilian real - a little over £900,000 - after the Union of Athletes of Santa Catarina brought a case against the game's developers, EA Sports, in court.

At what point do you not just think fuck it, I have enough money coming in from other revenue streams, this money helps my fellow professionals and some fights are just not worth the time?

Bale, 31, responded by writing: "@Ibra_official Interesting... what is @FIFPro ? #TimeToInvestigate."

Ibrahimović and Bale have appeared in several versions of Fifa, with Bale appearing on the cover of Fifa 14 alongside Barcelona and Argentina great Lionel Messi.

If he that really it is the case that Bale had never heard of the FifPro's relationship with image licensing despite appearing on the cover in 2014 he should probably appoint a better agent/personal lawyer because you would have thought when he signed such a deal, as it would have been quite easy to advise him he was going to be in the game anyway and the money was for the cover and marketing image rights.

Although what can you expect from someone who tried to trademark a heart shaped hand logo of a gesture he didn't invent.

Note to mods, I put in here because of the footballers involvement but if it is more suited to off-topic, please move.

At what point do you not just think fuck it, I have enough money coming in from other revenue streams, this money helps my fellow professionals and some fights are just not worth the time?

If he that really it is the case that Bale had never heard of the FifPro's relationship with image licensing despite appearing on the cover in 2014 he should probably appoint a better agent/personal lawyer because you would have thought when he signed such a deal, as it would have been quite easy to advise him he was going to be in the game anyway and the money was for the cover and marketing image rights.

Although what can you expect from someone who tried to trademark a heart shaped hand logo of a gesture he didn't invent.

My opinion may not be popular on this but I will give it anyway, in this instance both players are money grubbing twunts I would only complain if my image was being used for something nefarious and impacted negatively on me.

The Harry Potter woman sues anything that moves if it so much as hints at her books and she's swimming in moolah, Lewis Hamilton took a watchmaker to court for copyright infringement who have been making watches since 1892 and lost, these people have no sense of reality and are greedy past the point of sanity.

I can understand the point even though the "How much more money do you need?" is right as well.

The games company puts these guys faces on the front cover because they expect it will get them more sales and more money. So why should they get the footballers image for nothing? They're making money by using it.

I'd be happier though if the money went somewhere worthwhile, and not the Zlatan Foundation.

They don't get the in-game image rights for free though, mate. Fifpro- the global union for footballers strikes the licensing deals on their collective behalf. It's a much fairer to do it that way and distribute it out from the pot than let individual big superstars carve up a bigger piece of the pie.

If the publisher wants to use them in marketing material and front covers they would strike a deal with the individual player for that.

I was gonna say, it's not as if EA Sports aren't paying for the rights. If none of that money is going to the players, then blame the people they're buying the rights from. But I imagine in reality they are getting paid for it by getting a massive fucking salary that includes the right for clubs and competitions to market their face for commercial purposes.

It might be worth noting that whilst the very top players won't need the money, players further down the pyramid or playing in poorer leagues overseas could benefit from an additional revenue stream, even if it is small.

I'm not yet sure where I stand on this issue.

Last edited:
They could be said to be getting extra exposure which increases their all round marketability. Teams in red love being splashed all over the show - it all helps their cause one way or other.
Although l had obviously heard Ibramovitch's name when he played for various teams and of course there was the flukiest great goal ever, l never realised what an all round clunt he was until he went to the swamp and really blossomed like the plants that flourish in the shit farm by the M60.

It strikes me that Gareth Bale's Real Madrid career hit the buffers around the same time as he started trying to trademark love-heart hands and pranced around with a flag that mocked his club. He responded by acting like a child on their bench. Now he's in London with a chance to get his career back on track, his attention has been caught by a video game that he's obviously been aware of since he was a child.

Tell you what, this just sums up the modern footballer (maybe not all)

I cant believe that big nose and bale have recognised this themselves, one day going "hold on they owe me" whilst playing the bloody game themselves

This will be some shithouse agent who has gotten wind and primed them with the info, probably hoping their agency gets a fucking huge payday as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.