Olympiacos (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

It was a pretty dull game, but CL group stage matches often are. We're still miles off our best, but we've qualified for the last 16 at a canter and can rest players in the last two group games. Focus on the league now and hopefully get a bit of momentum going. Need to improve greatly though if we're going to be in the title race.

Nobody can possibly be happy with this team.

Some players are too comfortable about their position in the club. Sterling and Mahrez are perfect examples of that.
Agüero are on clear decline as injuries are coming regularly. Rodri is too slow in midfield and we have no one except De Bruyne who can be creative. I had hopes Bernardo would help him in that department but doesn’t look like it.

I honestly don’t know what is needed. Maybe Peps tactics are not really working all that well anymore. Not too long ago Mourinhos defensive tactics became obscelete but prior to that, he was one of the most successful in Europe.

I know it’s a win but who are the opponents... Not good enough by any standards.

visit us again in a few games now we have most of our squad back.
There’s nothing wrong with Kun. He’s got a good couple of years in him yet.

4 wins from 4.

Anyone moaning is a twat.

Exactly - 4 wins out of 4 despite a depleted squad.
Our players are back now & it will show.
Even Mendy made a difference tonight. The goals will come. Main thing is that despite the problems, we’ve still been making loads of chances

20 shots 10 on target ONE goal , story of our season so far , at least half a dozen chances that we would have taken a couple of seasons ago , the upside we have qualified and surely Pep cannot keep on ignoring Foden , he has to start every game now

I'm becoming increasingly convinced a lot of people on this forum look for reasons to be unhappy and finding those reasons and bitterly complaining about them is the only reason they follow the sport at all.

Tonight we played well, it was a noticeable change from not creating anything to creating but not quite finishing some really fine chances produced by some really fine football.

Mendy had an absolutely excellent game, it was really noticeable how often he won the ball high up when Olympiakos thought they'd finally got the ball back and Pep was clapping and happily encouraging him on all game. It's amazing how whenever he plays, he is a massive part of the game, all our attacks went down that side and involved him in the first half.

It was as comfortable a 1-0 win as you will ever see, I don't think Olympiakos registered a touch in our box until stoppage time. Stones looked really solid, Fernandinho, Zinchenko and Aguero made their returns and got some minutes, Tommy Doyle got his Champions League debut, we got a nice clean sheet, KDB and Walker got a well deserved rest and we didn't get any injuries.

Now we can look forward to a couple of games against fairly prestigious opposition in Marseilles and Porto with nothing riding on them, some kids getting minutes and more rest for the first team.

8/10, could barely have been planned better, just needed a couple of those great chances to drop in the net.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.