Academy Pathway to the First Team

I don’t think any will start next week as Pep will still want to secure top spot in the group, but you’d hope to see at least 3 or 4 against Marseille.

Players 20 or under at Big 6 clubs - apps & minutes played this season (all comps):

Rank 1 - City
9 players
(Delap, Palmer, H-B, Doyle, Bernabe, Garcia, Nmecha, Garcia, Foden, Torres*)
Total 37 appearances and 2282 minutes played

Rank 2 - Liverpool
5 players
(Elliot, N Williams, R Williams, Jones, Brewster)
Total 24 appearance 1541 minutes played (Brewster now sold)

Rank 3 - Chelsea
2 players
( Hudson-Odoi, James)
Total 22 appearances and 1327 minutes played

Rank 4 - Arsenal
2 players
(Saka, Balogun)
Total 13 appearances and 920 minutes played

Rank 5 - United
2 players
( Greenwood, Williams)
Total 12 appearances 12 and 610 minutes played

Rank 6 - Spurs

1 player (Jack Clarke)
Total 1 appearance and 5 minutes played

* yep, I know Torres hasn't come through our Academy

Players 20 or under at Big 6 clubs - apps & minutes played this season (all comps):

Rank 1 - City
9 players
(Delap, Palmer, H-B, Doyle, Bernabe, Garcia, Nmecha, Garcia, Foden, Torres*)
Total 37 appearances and 2282 minutes played

Rank 2 - Liverpool
5 players
(Elliot, N Williams, R Williams, Jones, Brewster)
Total 24 appearance 1541 minutes played (Brewster now sold)

Rank 3 - Chelsea
2 players
( Hudson-Odoi, James)
Total 22 appearances and 1327 minutes played

Rank 4 - Arsenal
2 players
(Saka, Balogun)
Total 13 appearances and 920 minutes played

Rank 5 - United
2 players
( Greenwood, Williams)
Total 12 appearances 12 and 610 minutes played

Rank 6 - Spurs

1 player (Jack Clarke)
Total 1 appearance and 5 minutes played

* yep, I know Torres hasn't come through our Academy
Even taking Torres off (which we should TBH) then the totals are 26 appearances and 1581 minutes played which still leaves us at the top of that particular table.

The dynamic is starting to change and it’s getting really exciting to have such a golden era of players, hopefully their development is not shunted by multimillion pound signings

I cant agree that last night was a missed opportunity for the kids. If we'd have been 3-0 up more would have come on for longer but it was imperative that we qualified. The good news for the Academy lads is that there are now two Champions League games where a number of them will play including starts.
I see your point but i also struggle to understand how playing Mahrez and Zinchenko would have benefited us more than playing Palmer and Nmecha.

These kids are good enough to start against a poor Greek outfit,nevermind come on as subs.The manager needs to start trusting them more and giving them a genuine chance to break through and become 1st team regulars.If that doesn't happen we will waste a golden opportunity as these kids can be special.

I'm not even convinced we will see them in the final two group games.

I see your point but i also struggle to understand how playing Mahrez and Zinchenko would have benefited us more than playing Palmer and Nmecha.

These kids are good enough to start against a poor Greek outfit,nevermind come on as subs.The manager needs to start trusting them more and giving them a genuine chance to break through and become 1st team regulars.If that doesn't happen we will waste a golden opportunity as these kids can be special.

I'm not even convinced we will see them in the final two group games.
They'd have come on I suspect if it hadn't been 1-0. Don't underestimate that there's a massive chasm in class between the standards at EDS/U18 level and premier/champions league and one bad mistake through nerves and it would have been a problem. It took Foden 2 years to bridge that gap and he's special. I know you know this but Pep has also got conflicting demands: Zinchenko badly needs game time, Mazreq badly needs form.

I think the last two games will be a mixture of "fringe" players who need game time like Zinchenko, Ake, Fernandinho, Sergio and Stones, and kids. He'll probably include a "match winner" or two like Bernardo, Foden, Sterling but I suspect that the best 2-3 kids will get a start and the next 2-3 come off the bench. That's got to be a good thing.

I get that for sure,i guess i'm just frustrated that two players(amongst others) who shouldn't be part of our future are getting game time ahead of kids who could be.
"who shouldn't be part of our future", maybe not but the fact is they're here now. One is contracted until 2024 and the other until 2023, the club isn't going to put them on gardening leave as they could do a Bridge and refuse any permanent transfer. It wouldn't send a good signal to any future potential transfers either.

"who shouldn't be part of our future", maybe not but the fact is they're here now. One is contracted until 2024 and the other until 2023, the club isn't going to put them on gardening leave as they could do a Bridge and refuse any permanent transfer. It wouldn't send a good signal to any future potential transfers either.
Yes mate,i know.......hence the tone of my original comment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.