Olympiacos (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

The main difference in my (extremely untrained) view is how rarely we get runners going past the player with the ball. It was a feature of our play in Pep's 2nd and 3rd seasons, and under Pellegrini also, but it seemed to come to an abrupt halt last season. So often we play the ball out to either of the full backs and immediately the winger comes inside which leaves no forward passing option. Last night we got plenty of crosses into the box, albeit of variable quality, but it was disappointing to see no one in there to finish them off, Jesus, who I rate very highly was, more often than not, to be found nearer the touchline than the penalty spot.

Every time I see Foden play it becomes more and more obvious that the guy has the talent to become amongst the very best in the world in a few years. But it's no longer a talent issue - it's just a case of him not getting distracted and totally focusing on being the best he can be. 19 goals under his belt.

He was bound to be a bit rusty after playing so little football recently. Think he’ll only be a bit part player this season, but deserves a bit more respect than that.

I have nothing against Fernandinho I just realise he is past it. That is now 4 games he has played in midfield in a row where he has looked poor.

My post was aimed at the large portion of posters who beg for him to be in the starting 11 every week.

Hope that puts to rest the obsession with Fernandinho. Yet again he played in midfield and was awful, gave away a stupid foul for no reason then a give away in our own box.

Other than that I thought we were brilliant the first 15 minutes and am very much looking forward to the Burnley game.

He played for 14 minutes after 5 weeks out injured, and which 14 minutes meant he’d been on the field for precisely 29 minutes since the end of September. What exactly were you expecting from him?

I have nothing against Fernandinho I just realise he is past it. That is now 4 games he has played in midfield in a row where he has looked poor.

My post was aimed at the large portion of posters who beg for him to be in the starting 11 every week.

Hasn’t started a game in midfield since Wolves away (which we won) on the opening day, has he? And prior to that it was Bournemouth at home in July (which we won)! I think everyone accepts he’s not the force he was, but he’s still a good player for all that. He’s barely had a game in midfield for the past 18 months. Not sure how you can write him off based on that

Last edited:
He played for 14 minutes after 5 weeks out injured, and which 14 minutes meant he’d been on the field for precisely 29 minutes since the end of September. What exactly were you expecting from him?

I was expecting pretty much what we got.

If you read my original post it was aimed at the 20-30 posters who every pre/post match thread go on how he is the answer to all our problems and needs to start.

Hasn’t started a game in midfield since Wolves away (which we won) on the opening day, has he? And prior to that it was Bournemouth at home in July (which we won)! I think everyone accepts he’s not the force he was, but he’s still a good player for all that. He’s barely had a game in midfield for the past 18 months. Not sure how you can write him off based on that

I don't see how you can't write him off, he had a largely average period playing as a centre half and has since put in 3/4 poor performances in midfield.

It's not even his energy which seems to have gone as you would expect, it's his passing which has fallen off a cliff. In one of the post lockdown games he must have lost the ball with 75% of his attempted forward passes. It was painful to watch.

It's a strange situation as people seemed to realise that David Silva was clearly on the decline and could still have some brilliant games, it was on a much less regular basis that usual. There is a blind spot with Fernandinho and I don't see why.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.