Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Peo was brilliant yesterday. Resting Laporte (who is going to play a lot of games) and rewarding Stones with a start. As a player who’s confidence has gone, this was just what he needed and after two games with him back at his best, I think he’s back from the brink. I know Mahrez has been awful but he finally played at his best which will boost his confidence massively. Fern needed that full 45 minutes too and it was a good game to give Mendy because he was never going to be under any pressure.

I thought Peo was brilliant yesterday. Resting Laporte (who is going to play a lot of games) and rewarding Stones with a start. As a player who’s confidence has gone, this was just what he needed and after two games with him back at his best, I think he’s back from the brink. I know Mahrez has been awful but he finally played at his best which will boost his confidence massively. Fern needed that full 45 minutes too and it was a good game to give Mendy because he was never going to be under any pressure.
I thought mixed.

Good for the reasons you stated - plus resting Sterling.

But harsh on Foden, yet again, and placing more demands on KDB than were necessary. OK, KDB worked, and he did rest midweek, but I’m concerned over the longer term. Maybe he’ll be rested for Porto and Fulham.

An enervating performance, though, and an early goal so often dictates our game.

I thought mixed.

Good for the reasons you stated - plus resting Sterling.

But harsh on Foden, yet again, and placing more demands on KDB than were necessary. OK, KDB worked, and he did rest midweek, but I’m concerned over the longer term. Maybe he’ll be rested for Porto and Fulham.

An enervating performance, though, and an early goal so often dictates our game.
I thought KDB looked refreshed and I suspect he won’t play midweek. I agree about Foden but his chance is coming now I think. I sense Pep is now getting them all on their toes and competing for places and some of them he’s leaving out to get them hungry again..

If Sterling and Foden come back firing on all cylinders the next couple of games then that’s mission accomplished from Pep.

Pep Guardiola: "It’s not about rest here. I saw KDB a little bit exhausted mentally [last week]. But right now I use the players who are in better conditions or more focused. If the players think they have been rested because I am rotating, they have made a big mistake..."

Pep Guardiola: "I put in every game the best players, sometimes for the benefit of the team, sometimes because of injuries, but especially the players who play well. It’s not about the players who believe, 'I deserve to start because I have been here for three or four years'."

Pep Guardiola: "It doesn’t matter if you have won a lot of titles in the past or you score a lot of goals — you have to show it on the pitch in the recent past, in the present and especially in the future."

Pep Guardiola: “The youngest player that we have, Phil Foden, gets the same treatment and opportunities as Fernandinho, our most experienced player."

Pep Guardiola: "He [Stones] was so concentrated on not making mistakes. What we're looking for from the back four is “don’t make mistakes”. The guys who help me, help the team, have more chance to play. The other ones? They have to wait for this opportunity."

PEP :In football, what you have done in the past, doesn’t mean you do it in the present. If the players consider this, they have a big mistake. By being good, you have a chance to play. It’s not complicated.

PEP :The other ones have to wait for the opportunity. Fight and wait for the moment and when they have the moment, do it as best you can – as well as possible. That’s how it works. What happened a week ago is already over – it’s in the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.