Comedy Genius.

Its a shame there are no comedy greats around at the moment it's are all the same rubbish nothing makes me laugh like comedy of 20+ years ago.
There's loads of fantastic comedy around at the moment. But by definition greats are people who have done it over decades.

Name a new comedy that had you laughing.
Fleabag was great. James Acaster's special on Netflix is the best recorded stand up I've seen in years. Sara Pascoe's show that came out last month was good (first episode is a bit shit, so give it a chance). Inside Number 9 is brilliant (although hit and miss given the nature of the show). Sex Education was good. I'm usually a few years behind, because I live outside the UK.

If we're talking of the last 20 years, then you can add Peep Show, The IT Crowd, Black Books, The Office, Extras, the League of Gentlemen, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Thick of It, Brass Eye, Fresh Meat, Mitchell and Webb's various sketch shows, the Inbetweeners, Green Wing, Parks and Recreation, Nathan Barley, Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, Sacha Baron Cohen's various creations, and in the more light entertainment category, Taskmaster. Even some panel shows like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and Would I Lie to You are frequently great if a bit overdone.

And I left the UK in 2010, so there's shitloads that I haven't seen. I've never seen Derry Girls, This Country, Detectorists, Stath Lets Flats, Veep, Toast of London, that have all had great reviews. I'm sure there's loads more.

Wasn’t aware of it until now, looks interesting

Enjoyed it a lot. Won a stack of awards. Set in the late ‘50’s about a Jewish housewife in NYC, who decides she wants to be a stand-up comedian, and in it her character, Mrs Maisal, meets and befriends Lenny Bruce (the guy who plays him does an excellent imitation). Thought it might all be a bit twee at first, but it got better and better. Ironically, the only thing that wasn’t particularly funny about it was her stand up routines, which are ‘of the period’ (ie. dated)

I know they did not write it, but Dermot Morgan and Ardal O'Hanlon are what makes Father Ted special.

Also a bit shocked not to see Sacha Baron Cohen mentioned. There has not been anyone who has been as consistently funny over the last 20 years, than some of his characters.

Attachments

• Characters_of_Father_Ted.jpg
    Characters_of_Father_Ted.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 2

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.