No-Kill Meat to go on Sale...

Would You Eat Lab Grown Meat as a Primary Food Source?

• Yes

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 16 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sounds gross but probably much less gross than meat we get the usual way. Will be much better for the environment and doesn't rely on pumping animals living in inhumane conditions with antibiotics. Maybe people who have grown up eating meat might not want to wrap their head around it, but for a transitional generation, those growing up with it being the norm, it will become the obvious choice.

People consuming factory farmed meat on the scale they are isn't sustainable any longer. A lot of public health crises can be traced back to bad meat production/farming practices and growing resistance to antibiotics can only get worse.

Nearly all of my cooking is vegan now and I've become less reliant on meat substitutes as my cooking repertoire has improved. I wouldn't rule trying something this out though.

Reading through the comments I realise that the lab-grown meat' discussion bypasses the whole farming aspect of livelihood. Of course, there's be the individual farmers affected, but the whole industry would change too. What about all those jobs involved over time?

Surely there would be culling that would naturally be introduced as a forced option?

Or farm animal products would become a 'delicacy'/ 'high end' food on the market!

So I was thinking, having just seen this and I'm not sure, would this change anybody's eating habit?

The point of veganism, for example is the 'cruelty to animals' aspect, but this product would be 'lab grown meat'.

It's been approved and is going on sale in Singapore soon as 'chicken bites', produced by a US company (why haven't they sold it in the US first?).

Is this the answer to save the planet or, at least, make food sustainable in the future?

It's been mooted for a few years, in reality, but I think this is the first real test as safety has been approved.

PETA view 2017

BBC Article 2018

Would you as a meat eater switch to this product?

More interestingly, would you as a vegan/ vegetarian switch to this product knowing you would not be contravening your strict beliefs and lifestyle?
I’m vegetarian and haven’t missed meat in over 12 months so no, I’ll stick to the geeen stuff thanks.

Reading through the comments I realise that the lab-grown meat' discussion bypasses the whole farming aspect of livelihood. Of course, there's be the individual farmers affected, but the whole industry would change too. What about all those jobs involved over time?

Surely there would be culling that would naturally be introduced as a forced option?

Or farm animal products would become a 'delicacy'/ 'high end' food on the market!
If farmers just grew crops mainly we’d have a huge positive impact on the environment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.