#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't at the same level, Sterling is a proven Premier League superstar over a number of years. Sancho is not yet. I'm not saying he can't be - but please don't compare them as 'like for like'.
Not comparing. It is very frustrating though watching Sterling when you know what is possible and for whatever reason he can’t perform to that level consistently. You can’t deny the majority of this season he has flattered to deceive and unable to do the most basic things correctly.

for how many easy chances he has he should score many more, even in his really good goal scoring seasons there have been embarrassing misses. And yes everyone misses but it’s more of a sometimes expect them to miss which is what you expect Sterling to do on a 1v1

Not comparing. It is very frustrating though watching Sterling when you know what is possible and for whatever reason he can’t perform to that level consistently. You can’t deny the majority of this season he has flattered to deceive and unable to do the most basic things correctly.

for how many easy chances he has he should score many more, even in his really good goal scoring seasons there have been embarrassing misses. And yes everyone misses but it’s more of a sometimes expect them to miss which is what you expect Sterling to do on a 1v1

That 1 on 1 today was just farcical.

Thought he was excellent today tbh.
After Rodri improved second half, I think Sterling may have been our overall worst player.

Some of the things he did were just so ordinary it’s painful to watch.

I won’t say too much about the 1v1 it was that shit, but how many times did he lose the ball when running forward? There was one where he and Kev were 2v2 going into the box and he just ran it at the defenders leg’s and lost it. It’s like something an 8 year old would do.

But that 1v1... what other player in world football could go five yards clear in a 1v1 with the keeper only to have five players between him and the goal by the time he shot?

such an unusual player.
He was both very good yesterday and really quite bad. Thats why people find him so frustrating, because of the variance between the best that he does and the worst. I cant think of another player in elite football where the gap is quite so wide.

At his best, he was direct, quick and skillful, retained the ball even in the tightest of situation and pressed with energy and tenacity. His link play out wide was great at times and in the first half gave his fullback a torrid time.
At his worst you get the 1 on 1 which if you could have put good money on the fact he wouldn't score it would have been the safest investment anyone in the history of the world would have made. He runs into trouble too much and loses the ball too often and misses too many good chances.

such an unusual player.
He was both very good yesterday and really quite bad. Thats why people find him so frustrating, because of the variance between the best that he does and the worst. I cant think of another player in elite football where the gap is quite so wide.

At his best, he was direct, quick and skillful, retained the ball even in the tightest of situation and pressed with energy and tenacity. His link play out wide was great at times and in the first half gave his fullback a torrid time.
At his worst you get the 1 on 1 which if you could have put good money on the fact he wouldn't score it would have been the safest investment anyone in the history of the world would have made. He runs into trouble too much and loses the ball too often and misses too many good chances.
Really sums up Sterling. Sterling will probably be one of those players that will always have splitting views about his performances.

Sterling's main weapons are his intelligence and off-the-ball running, his ability to find and time his runs into open areas are nothing short of world class. The huge contrast lies in his footballing technique, his dribbling, his finishing, which are pretty far from world class.

I mentioned way earlier in this thread that Sterling's more of a "wing-forward" than a classic "winger". Similar in the mold of Son Heung-Min, Rashford, Werner (when he's not busy being shite on the wings), Aubameyang (under Arteta last season) etc.
Regardless of what you think of Sterling's quality, it's obvious the type of player he is, is crucial in Pep's system.

IMO, I think Sterling did well enough against Chelsea, but as per usual, I expect another poster to disagree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.