Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

Never really known the full story and shouldn’t derail what is a forum to celebrate, rather than stir the melting pot, so apologies for that!
No worries mate. I was sent a link to a story in the MEN. I meant no disrespect to the King. Im a Langley lad who moved to NYC in 1981 when I was 7. English Football was pretty much no-existent in the states so I admittedly lost interest for quite some time. I pretty much missed a good chunk of City history

He played a charity match with Paul Power at local school nearly nineties. He could put the ball on a sixpence. Imagine Colin playing alongside Merlin......

It's been a long time since I've come on here to post and believe me there has been many times I've been tempted. However tonight needed no more tempting it just felt the right thing to do.

I started following this wonderful club when my Dad first took me in 1972. My Dad was my first hero and will be my last but that Saturday afternoon in 72 he unearthed a plethora of new heroes that continues to this day. We all pick our favourites or maybe they pick you. My Dad's was Buzzer Summerbee, mine was Willie Donachie, whilst my own 2 daughters were Stephen Jordan and Sun Jihai for a short time at least.

But I knew all about Colin Bell before I even stepped foot inside Maine Road, how could I not. I'd heard all the stories from my Dad of his extraordinary stamina, his pace, his goals and the name Nijinsky. Colin finished games the way most footballers would start them. I'd thumbed through my Dad's scrapbooks from newspaper clippings and touched them longingly.

Surrounded by my Dad's mates, those foreboding dark stands, the tall floodlights, the smell of grass and then seeing for the first time in glorious technicolor those stunningly beautiful sky blue shirts and then there stood in the middle of the pitch this rapier like blonde fella, our very own England midfield Star - Nijinsky!

My Dad took me to almost every home game barring the derbies, too much trouble in those days, and so I missed that fateful League Cup game. But he made sure he took me to the King's homecoming v Newcastle. It's all been said before about the noise the crowd made when he appeared and it's never been louder since. We've all heard and read about him, seen the clips, sung his name on many occasions and I hope 'Colin the King' is the first we sing whenever we are all back together. Where ever he is we need him and his family to hear it bellowing out every bit as loud as that Newcastle return.

I didn't want to believe it tonight although I knew it was true and I just had to ring my Dad who has been bedridden for far too long now to tell him the news. My Mam (a United fan) answered the phone and said she was sorry and I asked her to tell my Dad that Colin Bell had died....did i really just say that to my Dad!

I heard his voice in the background "Oh No not Colin Bell" and I put the phone down.

Fate has brought City v United together again in a League Cup tie tomorrow night. Those footballing gods really do know to play the heartstrings. Come on City Do it for the King, do it for Nijinsky, do it for every Blue's hero Colin Bell.

Last edited:
I hope nobody minds but as a life long West Ham fan I felt compelled to register to comment on the sad passing of Colin Bell. He was a player I greatly admired and was amazed at his ability and stamina, he seemed to run all day and was quite capable of starting a move and then being in the box to finish it. As an old timer he is what I would call a proper footballer and they are as rare as hens teeth. No fuss, no histrionics, just an out and out gentleman. A special light has just gone out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.