Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

I believe so, yes.

Sir Joe didn’t want to sign him, as he knew Tony was a maverick. He’d thrown a bed out of a window while with the England U23 squad that Joe was in charge of, but Malcolm persuaded him and he was a key member of what was possibly the last five-man front line - Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young and Coleman - in English football until Sterling, de Bruyne, Agüero, Silva and Sané.
At the time of his signing I remember it being said that some time earlier he had been banned sine die for punching a referee.

Colin’s death reminded me of my sister. On the very next day after his injury, she and her friend, managed to blag their way into the hospital. They found him and wished him well.

I was 10 at the time and I was absolutely blown away that they had spoke to him. I was also gutted that they’d not got his autograph for me. I suppose that he wouldn’t have been up for an autograph at the time but I was also a kid.

I don’t remember being overly worried that it was that serious an injury.

I have never ever heard anyone say one bad word about Colin.

A model professional,awesome player on the Pitch.

The perfect gentleman off it.

I was at that Derby game in 1975 when Buchan injured him.I was Sat on the wall at the front of the Kippax with my legs through the railings,as most of us youngsters did back then.

The Adults would pass all us youngsters down to that wall,best seat in the House.

RIP Colin you will be sadly missed.

I’ve not posted on this thread, I never saw him play too young, my dad says he was the best player to wear the blue shirt. I have seen that documentary before, just noticed he is running in a pair of sambas by the look off it. Such as shame the knee injury running in those wouldn’t have help either.

makes me incredibly sad, RIP.

Sorry if someone has posted this before and not sure how to do links etc so if this does not work excuse me.. so gutted about losing this man..can not sleep..he meant so much to me growing up.
A great watch.. three great English players who played in Blue and did the country proud...Colin hated publcity but was quite chatty in this video..The Chelsea goal and Buchan foul all in there...
Grew up in Chorlton..Joe Mercer and Matt Busby lived not far away..my uncle lived close to Clifton Grange where Buzzer and Best used to frequent..Phil Lynott's mums hotel.. at school we had a tennis ball and it was City against United..probably thirty a side kicking hell out of each other.. so many fond memories.
Had to leave Kent for a few days and visit my parents in Congleton,sadly Covid issues..was chatting to my old man about the old days..The Pink,being given permission to go at 13 to matches with my cousin..the Kippax,the toilets,family in Moss Side...such happy days and then literally got the news on my phone hours later...weird

This board should have a thousand, a million posts..he was the best..the very best..I dont swear, but f*ck me he was my hero.. youngsters know about Silva,Yaya,Aguero as that is all they have seen.. and one day when these guys die they will probably feel sad,but truthfully not what I feel now..growing up in the sixties and seventies, you had football and music,little else..bless you all.

Its this photo of Colin re telling stories on a Christmas day to his grandkids that moved me most not least wearing his City christmas jumper!. His son and daughter in law do amazing work within the NHS ( his son mentioned developing an interest when his dad was injured) and Colin has left us all a wonderful legacy .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-195524.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-195524.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Coleman went to Australia and became a truck driver. Heard him interviewed once and he wasn't particularly keen on the Australians.
Sounds like he wasn't particularly keen on anyone but normally somebody has met him recently or knows somebody who knows his whereabouts. Sreange for a player of his quality to disappear so quickly and now without a trace

Sounds like he wasn't particularly keen on anyone but normally somebody has met him recently or knows somebody who knows his whereabouts. Sreange for a player of his quality to disappear so quickly and now without a trace
He came back for the 50th anniversary of either the title success in 1968 or the FA Cup win in '69.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.