Where is the single most beautiful place you have been?

I lived in Andel when I first came here too and later lived in Nove Butovice. I live in the centre now (Josefov) which I'm really enjoying. I might feel a bit differently when the tourists come back though!
Andel had everything. Great bars and some decent clubs. Close to work, not many tourists and that big shopping centre for anything I needed. I was on my own there mostly so weeks were good as I was busy with work, weekends were mostly spent in a little bar in the centre called O’Ches and got to know a few ex pats which made it decent.

The ice-field parkway is 4 of the best hours of driving time you’ll ever do. From Banff to Jasper is incredible.

Yes, have done it. Great part of the world, I would love to go back. You can just pull in at any lay-by and be amazed by the views, or stumble across really good trails or lakes. Mistaya Canyon and Athabasca Falls were two more good ones on this route.

Many, many places mentioned on here that I found fabulous. Yes, the Outer Hebrides. Yes, the Lofotens. Yes, the Greek islands of the Aegean. Yes, Highway 1. Yes, the Canadian Rockies. Yes, Florence and Siena. Yes, Torres Del Paine down in Chilean Patagonia. Yes, waking up and looking out over Hong Kong harbour from HK island as the dawn comes up. Yes, Kinder Scout, in fact, with my Manc girlfriend, the rain fucking lashing it down…
Many, many years ago, when I was 21, I hitched a ride in a Land Rover across the Sahara, coming up from the south. The driver was Italian, spoke no English or French. I spoke no Italian. So we did the entire journey in almost total silence. It only took a few days to Tamanrasset, in fact. Nights, I just took my sleeping bag fifty yards away or so, to leave him in peace, spread it out on the sand, and lay there looking up at the dome of stars. No towns, no cities, no villages, no human habitation of any kind for hundreds of miles in all directions. Just the unbelievably clear, massive dome of stars above me. And no sound except the whispering of the harmattan, the desert wind. Until I went off to sleep.
And the landscapes during the day. Simply unbelievable.
I'm not a religious man, but that experience changed my life. Probably the most beautiful place I've been.
But I also want to say the Serengeti, visited in the last ten years. Because it's incredibly beautiful to see hundreds of wild animals, of all kinds, just living in the open, free, not taking any notice of us. Just going about their business.

And smelly, no doubt?

I've also stayed there and the smell of sulphur from the springs is something else.

Would recommend Antigua or Grenadines in that part of world if not been mate?
Good to see you back Tolmie.

Never been to the West Indies but my mate (Chinny, IE Gordon Chin) has a Chinese Grandfather and Barbadian Grandma amongst others that make up his ethnicity, he reckons Barbados is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean.

Due to loss of funds with this virus I'm actually looking forward to just seeing anywhere that I can get to for the minimum amount of wonga but if things improve there's a lot of inspiration on this thread, I can but dream.

Touching on Prague, I was a bit underwhelmed when I went, but it was very very touristy, which sometimes sways your view on things. We rushed our trip a bit but stumbled across the Castle steps, that was an incredible view from the top at night.

Many, many places mentioned on here that I found fabulous. Yes, the Outer Hebrides. Yes, the Lofotens. Yes, the Greek islands of the Aegean. Yes, Highway 1. Yes, the Canadian Rockies. Yes, Florence and Siena. Yes, Torres Del Paine down in Chilean Patagonia. Yes, waking up and looking out over Hong Kong harbour from HK island as the dawn comes up. Yes, Kinder Scout, in fact, with my Manc girlfriend, the rain fucking lashing it down…
Many, many years ago, when I was 21, I hitched a ride in a Land Rover across the Sahara, coming up from the south. The driver was Italian, spoke no English or French. I spoke no Italian. So we did the entire journey in almost total silence. It only took a few days to Tamanrasset, in fact. Nights, I just took my sleeping bag fifty yards away or so, to leave him in peace, spread it out on the sand, and lay there looking up at the dome of stars. No towns, no cities, no villages, no human habitation of any kind for hundreds of miles in all directions. Just the unbelievably clear, massive dome of stars above me. And no sound except the whispering of the harmattan, the desert wind. Until I went off to sleep.
I'm not a religious man, but that experience changed my life. Probably the most beautiful place I've been.
But I also want to say the Serengeti, visited in the last ten years. Because it's incredibly beautiful to see hundreds of wild animals, of all kinds, just living in the open, free, not taking any notice of us. Just going about their business.

Wonderful post

Lofotens and Torres del Paine are amazing. I've Ben to the Masai Mara but not the Serengeti - ballooning at dawn is amazing.

I had a night at a desert camp in Morocco, just us and the Milky Way for company.

I'd also offer Kinabatangan river in Borneo, Tortuguero in Costa Rica, and La Gran Cabana in southern Venezuela.

Yes, have done it. Great part of the world, I would love to go back. You can just pull in at any lay-by and be amazed by the views, or stumble across really good trails or lakes. Mistaya Canyon and Athabasca Falls were two more good ones on this route.

That part of Canada was my last holiday - end of September and it snowed like crazy at the Athabasca Glacier. The view over the South Saskatchewan river was quite something.

After some planning I took a little motorbike ride in November 2019 across Thailand then crossed the border at Chong Chom into Cambodia.
Pointed the bike and basically apart from a little planning on a few stops went where the roads took me. It truely is a beautiful country and hard to imagine the horrors that have taken place there. While riding around I lost count of the amount of killing field monuments I saw, that sounds a bit dark for this thread but my mind was swiftly taken away from them by the truely stunning lanscapes I rode through and the welcoming smiling people in the towns and small villages I walked around. I can't even think of just one that stood out as I came across so many but most notably while at Virachey National Park. Any pictures on the internet do not do it justice.
10 days riding around wasn't enough and my planed 3 week return last year was only paused by Covid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.